• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

10 steps or less please

Antman

Because, you know, Obama.
Advisor
Compaq CQ62 laptop, 2GB RAM
New SSD

Installed Win7 64-bit. Clean install thumb. Windows Update causes svchost to peg CPU @ 99%

Pressed F**k it button.

Installed Win7 32-bit. Different thumb, created from scratch. Windows Update causes svchost to peg CPU @ 99%

svchost trades/shares peg time with TrustedInstaller

Disabled automatic updates, restart. PC idles with TrustedInstaller half-pegged to pegged.

Laptop did present high CPU pegging before SSD, but old HDD also failed SMART - I attributed the CPU peg to issues related to the failing HDD.

I have never seen a clean install from a clean source do this.

CPU/system temps nominal.

SSD firmware problem?

Pancake

To Protect and Serve
iHF Master Craftsman
Security Advisor
Have you tried updating your SSD firmware ?

Antman

Advisor
Pulled the SSD. Put in an HDD. Re-installed. Same problem. Hardware indicted. Now, I have a $45 120GB SSD that I do not need.

I understand svchost. My OP reflects my laziness. I did not list the services but I did ID them. Included: BITS, wuau, lanman, EAP, IPhelper, SENS, yada yada.

ISO source is Win7 SP1. First thumb was created long ago, second thumb made fresh (probably ruling out corrupted source).

I learned something today. I really, really do not enjoy this work anymore. Pacific Coast Home Furnishings was my last hurrah. I even divested myself from my charity. I rebuild bikes now.

Eeyore_1.jpg

Antman

Advisor
Re-attached failing HDD. WindX is installed on it. CPU spikes and but does not peg.

Returned to end-user.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I recently encountered issues from the IAStor service. The system wasn't RAID, so I disabled and all is well. Windows has too many services that have potential to cause issue.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I've got a Windows 7 PC updating now. In the Checking for Updates phase, the System Idle is running 70 - 92% on the CPU. TrustedInstall is at 11 or 12%, and svchost bounces in and out of the 11 - 13% range.

Installing now. System Idle is in the high 80's - 90's. svchost just hit its high of 11%. TrustedInstall just hit 13%. When svchost is running "high", Trusted install is around 2-3% and vice-versa.

Antman

Advisor
Two calendar days to run Windows Update(s) after a clean install. Elsewhere I reported that offline WSUS update process circumvented the problem. I was wrong.

At some point in the second day, the problem self-corrects. I have experienced this on three machines, first machine processed three times (while I was exploring cause and solution).

Color me baffled.

Antman

Advisor
I had an opportunity to revisit this. On WindX host, installed a VBox to run Win7. I will try running WMC in a VM to 'solve' the no WMC in WindX oversight.

The CPU spike presented again. I disabled IPv6 because why not and it was posted somewhere. I also ran a stand-alone update referenced below.

Problem is resolved but remains of uncertain cause.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Antman

Advisor
Two words: J River Media Center.

Plug and playish, HDHomerun Prime TV, PVR and EPG.

Whatever on that CPU spike.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Ok, clear this up for me, please. I hadn't missed Media Center. So I guess I have never really used Media Center. What's to miss?

Antman

Advisor
TechNet distributed Win7sp1 ISOs clean installed on valid license pegs CPU during Windows Update. Several machines/chipsets, 32 and 64 bit. VMs too.

It does not really matter. Win7 upgrades to Win10 via Media Creation Tool without any updates. Recently, it mattered. I want an easy to use and read TV guide (EPG) in Windows 10 with PVR. For about an hour, I enjoyed WMC in a Win7 VM. It works fine that way but my current build (A10-7800) is not a best VM host.

Then, I found J River. Plug and playish. It's even 'better' than WMC. But, the EPG sucks. Can't increase font size.

I have an HDHomerun Prime on a 802.11ac 1200 wifi serving two Kangaroo (2W SDP and 4W TDP) Windows 10 desktops. My TV is smarter than yours.

I really like the Kangaroo, but this SoC begs for 4GB RAM.

Antman

Advisor
Capture.PNG I am playing with DV Schedule.

Apparently, there's nothing on right now.