• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Adblock addon replacement

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I am running Palemoon browser and really like it, but recently Ive been having erratic connection issues. Finally narrowed the culprit down to Adblock latitude, which is a close relative of Adblock plus made especially for pale moon. I did have fanboys ultimate filter list, which I removed, but with no improvement.

Removed Adblock and installed Ublock origin which appears to be OK so far. Whats a good replacement Adblocker suitable for Mozilla/palemoon. I have yet to find a Firefox addon that wont work with palemoon.

Thanks

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I saw some good reviews today for a browser called Brave. It's made by some of the original Firefox developers - like Palemoon is. Supposedly has native ad blocking abilities. I might have to give it a look.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I saw some good reviews today for a browser called Brave. It's made by some of the original Firefox developers - like Palemoon is. Supposedly has native ad blocking abilities. I might have to give it a look.
Certainly worth a look, thank you for that:)

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
After looking at the install log for Brave I may have been just a bit optimistic calling it a Beta version even though the download version was 0.70. I will give the benefit of a doubt an attribute the failure to a corrupt download or my security settings set a bit to high. While there were other errors of the System.BadImageFormatException: what was posted below was the most significant.

Code:
2016-02-15 21:22:25> Unhandled exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
  at NuGet.LocalPackage.ReadManifest(Stream manifestStream)
  at NuGet.ZipPackage.EnsureManifest()
  at NuGet.ZipPackage..ctor(String filePath, Boolean enableCaching)
  at NuGet.ZipPackage..ctor(String filePath)
  at Squirrel.UpdateManager.InstallHelperImpl.<CreateUninstallerRegistryEntry>d__5.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__35`1.MoveNext()
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
  at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__4.MoveNext()
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
  at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
  at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
  at Squirrel.Update.Program.executeCommandLine(String[] args)
  at Squirrel.Update.Program.main(String[] args)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
File name: 'System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
  at NuGet.LocalPackage.ReadManifest(Stream manifestStream)
  at NuGet.ZipPackage.EnsureManifest()
  at NuGet.ZipPackage..ctor(String filePath, Boolean enableCaching)
  at NuGet.ZipPackage..ctor(String filePath)
  at Squirrel.UpdateManager.InstallHelperImpl.<CreateUninstallerRegistryEntry>d__5.MoveNext()
  at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__35`1.MoveNext()
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
  at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__4.MoveNext()

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I don't know how to code, but that looks like something I could write....

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Thanks everyone for your recommendations, seems I have some research to do. I like the idea of Brave having inbuilt adblocking, but it appears that it strips ads out and replaces them with Braves own ads of which they earn 15% of?

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
The review I read said that the Brave ads could be turned off in the menu

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
There's good money in sloppy code.
I would have to agree with you Mate since there is so much of it floating around out there.

@DCiAdmin - I just used the code tags to highlight the error messages. What you see is what we used to call (if I remember the term right correctly) relational error messages displayed by the debugging code within the software. Usually the debugging code is removed or turned off when a piece of software reaches a certain stage. Thus my comment about the software not being out of alpha stage. Forgive me but I was being unkind to the authors. Debug logs were never my strength. I have seen enough of these logs to know I don't want to get caught up in alpha testing and early beta testing again. I have yet to see source code where the interaction points are annotated by the programmer so you can tell what module does what and when. :)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I have yet to see source code where the interaction points are annotated by the programmer so you can tell what module does what and when.
Dealing with this at work. We just lost our "golden boy" coder. Brilliant mind, but no teacher. He leaves no trail for others to follow.

Antman

Because, you know, Obama.
Advisor
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ProgrammingIsNotFun

What they have to pay me for is
  • showing up in the office during particular periods of the day,
  • finishing the boring, uninteresting parts of the software,
  • using operating systems, programming languages, and tools that I don't like,
  • working with people I don't like,
  • writing documentation,
  • filling out timesheets and other paperwork,
  • making estimates,
  • performance evaluations (both as victim and as executioner),
  • accepting responsibility for other people's mistakes,
  • watching other people mess up my work, or throw it away,
  • sitting through boring meetings,
  • giving presentations to managers, marketers, customers, and users,
    • Most geeks suck at that such that a "business analyst" does it instead (outside of trouble-shooting). Perhaps you don't suck at it enough.
  • traveling,
  • (etc.)
I'd work for less money, and be less likely to quit, if these aspects of the job were minimized.