• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Advice on these partitions please

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi, this is the partition setup on a new toshiba laptop, the amount of junk on it is appaling. Whilst im not particularly concerned about the disc space, do I need all these partitions? Windows shows 4 and macrium shows 5 which ive backed up.

The pc has Norton carp on it and im wondering if 1 of the partitions has something to do with that?

Capture.JPG Capture1.JPG

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi, this is the partition setup on a new toshiba laptop, the amount of junk on it is appaling. Whilst im not particularly concerned about the disc space, do I need all these partitions? Windows shows 4 and macrium shows 5 which ive backed up.

The pc has Norton cr*p on it and im wondering if 1 of the partitions has something to do with that?

View attachment 522 View attachment 523
I would leave the factory configured partitions alone Mate. One partition is for your restore image. I'm fairly sure there are things on the other partitions that are required.:)

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I would leave the factory configured partitions alone Mate. One partition is for your restore image. I'm fairly sure there are things on the other partitions that are required.:)
Hi LC, thanks for the quick response, yes ill leave them alone, I was mainly keen to know if one of them was due to Norton carp which is now gone. Thanks again

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
As stated the factory partitions are there for a reason. The two recovery partition are there for when you need to boot into recovery mode and restore the computer. Then the system reserved contains core boot files like BCD. Then your C: which contains user data. Be careful messing with them ;)
Hi TJ, Ill leave well alone, just looks a mess. Thanks again

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi LC, thanks for the quick response, yes ill leave them alone, I was mainly keen to know if one of them was due to Norton carp which is now gone. Thanks again
I'm sorry CD, I overlooks that part of your question. There should be no reason for Norton software to create a partition but if that were to happen you can bet that the partition would be identified as a Norton partition. :)