• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

All Things Tasty - Food & Recipes...

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Here's a recipe I found in a Aldus Pagemaker dtp training book a loooooooooooooong time ago.

Brannigan’s Creek Muddy Dip.

½ kgs. Mud Crab Meat.

½ kgs. Cream Cheese.

Juice of 1 Lemon.

½ packet Thai Curry Paste.

1 tablespoons Chilli Sauce.

1 tablespoons Crushed Garlic.

Garlic bread.

Whip Cream Cheese up with 3 tablespoons of Crab juice, then mix in other ingredients. Add Crab meat and mix together. Put in baking dish and bake in oven at 320º for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot with Garlic bread.

Substitute Mud Crab for your local tasty crab, or use tinned stuff...

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Double dipping, I got this recipe from a local BBS (before the interwebz) in Bundy

This the original version just substitute your local road kill...

Ted's Texas Road Kill Chilli.
Copyright Ted Rockwell ©1992

4 lb. fresh road-kill.
1 tsp. black pepper.
2 beers or 750ml zinfindel.
1-3 tsps. oregano.
2 Jalapeno peppers (chopped).
1 tsp. cumin powder.
2-4 tbs. chilli powder.
1 tsp. salt.
4 cloves crushed garlic.
1 16 oz. can Cantadina tomato sauce.
1 tbs. finely chopped green onions.
2 tsb. chopped bell pepper.

Grind up 4 pounds of fresh road-kill. (Note: sometimes, due to the condition of the road-kill, grinding up may not be necessary). Just about anything is acceptable (Armadillo, rabbit, possum, chicken, unidentified...), (in other countries substitute your local critter) but stay away from Skunks (or Koalas in Oz)since their odoriferousnous may have a negative effect on the final result. If you live in an area where there's not much highway traffic, or where urbanisation has scared off all the critters and your neighbours keep their pets indoors, then you can use (all) the following meat as a substitute:

2 lb. ground beef (chilli grind).
1 lb. venison (chilli grind) .. pork is ok.
1 lb. ground Italian sausage.
12 oz. Mexican chorrizo sausage.

Mix all the meat in a large kettle. If using the "substitute" ingredients above, then cut open the chorrizo wrapping and squeeze out the contents into the mixture of the 4 lb. of other meats. Brown the meat, stirring occasionally to mix well. Once the meat has browned, add the tomato sauce, beer (or wine) and all of the seasonings. It is a good idea at this early juncture to use only half of the chilli pepper and oregano and reserve the rest until later so that you can season to your taste.

Cook over low-medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, then reduce heat to low and cover. Cook covered for 1 hour, stirring from time to time. Sample for taste, increase seasoning as desired, and cook on low for another hour, stirring occasionally.

Sample again and add additional cumin, chilli pepper, oregano, Jalapenos or critters to suit your taste; turn off heat and place in the refrigerator over night. Reheat on the following day and serve. For an especially tasty presentation, serve up in bowls and sprinkle the top with chopped white onions and shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses. Feeds 6 to 8. Enjoy!

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Capture.JPG
I made this Monday night for our dinner group. Received good reviews :)

Tomato Basil Pasta! - No Straining, just Stirring Pasta, Tomatoes, Veggie Broth, Olive Oil, and Seasonings (details below)

Throw it all in the pot, INCLUDING the uncooked Pasta, and cook! - Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. The starch leaches out of the pasta and makes a rich, warm sauce for the noodles. The other ingredients cook right along with the pasta Ingredients 12 ounces pasta (I used Linguine) 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid ( I used zesty red pepper flavor) 1 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves 2 large sprigs basil, chopped 4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (regular broth and NOT low sodium) 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil Parmesan cheese for garnish Directions Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired . Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Mayo Biscuits

For about 20 medium biscuit..

6 cups of self rising flour
Using a large serving spoon.2 rounded spoons of Dukes mayonnaise
Milk...add to make it into a dough

(A trick here add a table spoon or 2 of vodka...this help the biscuits rise even more)....

Flour the table if you like and or hand pat....put dough on flour roll out to about a 1/4 inch cut with cup,glass or biscuit cutter..

400 degree oven bake until top is brown....thats it!

driver_ian

In at the Deep End...
Administrator
Security Advisor
iHF Legend
Here's the 'Full English' breakfast with a twist.. The Breakfast Lasagne...

Serves 6
Ingredients :
375g lasagne sheets
6 sausages
10 rashers of smoky bacon all visible fat removed
125g Cheddar grated
1 large onion roughly chopped
300g of mushrooms sliced
2 tins if baked beans
500g tomato passata
4 tomatoes sliced
6 eggs beaten
Tsp mixed herbs
Salt and pepper.

Method:
Dry fry the sausages. When cooked leave aside to cool.
Fry the onions, mushrooms and bacon.
When cooked add the beans, passata, salt and pepper to the onions, mushrooms and bacon.
Simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes.

Take an ovenproof dish, spoon some of the beans mixture into the dish.
Add a layer of lasagne sheets and repeat 2-3 times.
Slice the sausages and place on top of the bean mixture on the top layer.
Pour the eggs of the top and sprinkle the cheese evenly.

Cook in a Preheated oven at 180ºc for about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with the mix herbs and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.

It's very filling... Enjoy!

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
To help us poor misguided Yanks take better advantage of the great recipes posted by our friends across the great pond I have attached a conversion table in PDF format to help us figure out how their measures relate to ours. :)

Attachments

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Nice recipe Bear.. Didn't realise you were that domesticated :p
There is nothing wrong with a man cooking... as long as there is a grill involved :lol:. I kid I kid

Curry Chicken Pasta -

Ingredients -

Curry Powder

1 thing of Boneless chicken breasts or thighs.

Salt

Onion Powder

A bag of mixed vegetables

1 can of diced tomatoes

A big bowl or ice cream bucket

A box of elbow macaroni.

Shredded Cheese (optional)

------------------

Instructions -

1. Cut the chicken into small bite size pieces

2. Put the chicken in the bucket or bowl.

3. Put the curry powder,salt,and onion powder on the chicken. Be sure to only use a little salt and onion powder you want the curry powder to control the taste

4. After doing so cook the chicken till it is done

5. While the chicken is cooking go ahead and get the macaroni boiling.

6. After the chicken is done cooking and while the macaroni is boiling put the chicken in a bowl temporarily.

7. Saute the mixed vegetables up until they are done. Be sure to put a bit of curry powder on these aswell.

8. Wait for both the veggies and macaroni to get done.

9. After they are done put all three of the macaroni,chicken, and veggies in your serving bowl.

10. Open the can of diced tomatoes and pour them in.

11. Mix everything quite well and put more curry powder in the dish.

12. Mix until you see fit.

13(optional). Cover the top with shredded cheese

14. Put the dish in the microwave until the cheese is melted. If you did not use cheese put it in there for about 3-5 minutes.

Serve it up and enjoy. Salt and Pepper to your liking.

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
When my partner moved in with me, it was equal division of every thing at the time including cooking.

When I started working at MIM, cooking things changed a bit because of the shift work, my cooking got down to only cooking on my weekends off and preparing stuff when I was afternoon shift.

The system still works well after nearly 43 years.

Here's couple of drink recipes...

Yo Ho Ho Shake

2 to 3 cups of a quality chocolate ice cream (Cadbury's)
½ to 1 cup of milk (not low fat or skim)
3 - 4 tablespoons of Bundaberg Rum

Put all ingredients into a blender, blend till smooth.

This stuff is deceptive and goes down to easy.

Aussie Bliss

Some cool, cool shade...
one never ending, long oh so cold beer...

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Drinks that taste good are dangerous for me too have... Last time I had a sweet tasty drink I had too many, so I went to lay down and fell face flat on the floor. I was right by the bed.. I barely missed it.. lol

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Trust me I wish I had 100%.. After I gained consciousnesses again, I was dizzy and had a massive headache lol..

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Warning I typically cook on the fly and come up with stuff like this... I have what some call a bad habit of measuring by eye. So do not ask me for exact amounts, do as you see fit :).

Texan BurgerMac

Ingredients :

1 bag or box of macaroni of your choosing. In this recipe I prefer rotini.

1 package of ground beef. Ground turkey I would assume works aswell.

1. Big sausage link.

Tony Chachere Original Creole Seasoning

Garlic Powder

Onion Powder

Salt

Pepper

Worcestershire sauce

Balsamic Vinegar

1 Onion

1 Bell pepper

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
This is a huge part... I suggest some cheese melt blocks or two bags of shredded cheese

Italian Seasoning

Mixing Bowl or Ice Cream Bucket(I am telling you things come in handy...)

Microwave safe serving dish.
-------------------------------------------

1. Get your mixing bowl or bucket out.

2. Put the ground beef in the bucket.

3. Put the Seasonings and the sauces in here. I do advise only a very small amount of the vinegar. I like to go slightly heavy on the Tonys.. this may not be to ones liking. Do as you see fit.

4. If you are like me and use an ice cream bucket, put the lid on it and shake it up. If you do not have one, well get your hands dirty and mix it up.

5a. Get a pan out and cook the ground beef up.

5b. During this time cut up your peppers, onions, and sausage. Sautee them while cooking the ground beef.

6. During the same time period go ahead and cook the macaroni aswell. I like to put the macaroni in as it heats up, others may prefer waiting until the water is boiling.

7. I like to put Italian Seasoning in the water as the macaroni is boiling, I feel that is gives the macaroni a bit more taste. Or I could be crazy and could honestly have no effect what so ever.

8. While the ground beef, sausage, veggies, and macaroni is cooking, get your big serving dish out.

9. Put the ground beef,sausage,veggies and macaroni in the serving dish.Mix these up together as you see fit.

10. Get your cheese block out and cut it in smaller chunks.(If using shredded dump the full two bags in the dish)

11. Put the dish in the microwave and melt the cheese partly.

12. After the cheese has melted partly, take the dish out and stir the dish more. Make sure the cheese gets mixed well.

13. Cook on high for roughly 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted.

14. Take the dish out and stir really well.

15. Chow Time

-------------------------------------

Disclaimer: NOT DIET FRIENDLY

I also feel as though I am forgetting something, so edits might be coming.

Last edited:

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hey hey hey.. I gave a fair warning it wasn't diet friendly lol...
------------------------------------------------------------

Here is something a bit more healthy --

Pepper Pasta

Ingredients -

A bag of chopped mixed peppers.(mild peppers like bell peppers)

Soy Sauce

Tony Chachere Original Creole Seasoning

A box of elbow macaroni

A can of mild banana peppers

A can of diced tomatoes

Italian Seasoning

1 thing of ground beef (I would assume ground turkey would work fine too)

1 bag of Shredded Cheese

1 Mixing Bowl or Ice Cream Bucket
----------------------------

1. Go ahead and get the ground beef out and put it in your mixing bowl.

2. Put a bit of soy sauce and tonys on it.

3. Begin cooking the ground beef.

4. While the ground beef is cooking get your macaroni started.(Boil )

5. Again I like to put Italian seasoning in the macaroni as it is cooking.

6. Get your favorite saute dish out and begin to saute your peppers.

7. While peppers are sauteing put your diced tomatoes in aswell.

8. Take your mild banana pepper can and pour some of the juice into the saute dish aswell.Throw in a few banana peppers too.

9. Now pour in a bit of soy sauce.

10. When your hamburger meat finishes strain it out.

11. Wait for your peppers and tomatoes to saute to about 70-80 complete.

12. Throw in the hamburger meat to your saute dish and stir well.

13. Put a bit more soy sauce and banana pepper juice in.

14. Let that sit and get the macaroni done.

15. When done throw that in the saute area and mix it up .

16. Let this go a bit while you get your serving dish ready.

17. When you have your serving dish ready pour it in the dish.

18. Take your shredded cheese and dump the bag in the dish.

19. Stir and mix up everything until you see fit.

20. Throw the dish in the microwave until the cheese has melted.

21. Serve it up.

---------------------

I made this dish on the fly and loved it. It is a sweet and zesty kind of taste. I loved it and so did everyone who ate it.

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member