• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Android Tablet "process com.google.process.gapps has stopped working"

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have a family friend's tablet. It has a very annoying issue that I have seen in the past and have only fixed by restoring to factory. I really do not want to do that with the clients tablet. My goal is to fix this issue, not work around it.

Things I have tried -

Disabling and Reenabling Download Manager

Resetting all app preferences.

Turning off the tablet and turning it back on.

Power Cycled

Clearing the cache.

None of these have fixed the issue.

This is an off market tablet.(trio stealth 10) The android version is 4.1.1.

Lets get this issue fixed!! :D

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
That is a general error and could be anything having to do with GAPPS. I know you mentioned clearing the cache but give this a try.:)

find google related applications, especially Google Play Store, Google Play Services, Google Services Framework. Open each one in turn & clear DATA & CACHE in each case. Do the same for Browsers, too. Reboot your device & see what happens.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Will do that, also there is an app called OfficeSpace.. When I go to the app list however, it is not found there to uninstall..

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Will do that, also there is an app called OfficeSpace.. When I go to the app list however, it is not found there to uninstall..
Usually a widget will not show as an installed app. That may be what OfficeSpace is. I have no real knowledge of it. I'm sorry. :)

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Okay so far so good (2 minutes) after stopping the google services and restarting them... However a brand new error come up,

process.android process.acore has stopped.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Well nevermind that... here comes the other error messages...

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Yep I have done all of the above... Ughhh I hate having to restore to "fix" issues.... I feel like its cheating... its dirty.... lol

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Yep I have done all of the above... Ughhh I hate having to restore to "fix" issues.... I feel like its cheating... its dirty.... lol
I agree but that is the downside of Android. You never have full control even with root access.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Well I went ahead and restored to tablet, everything works as it should. Client is happy that it is working again so I guess that is what counts. :)

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
While everyone I talk to likes their Tables the one thing I am finding is that they are a Techs nightmare. There is no standardization. The Android OS is coded for the Tablet. This means that a fix for one Tablet may be useless for another. Is there a way to fix these problems without doing a factory restore? Yes but you need an intimate knowledge of Android and the debugging tools to do it. It is easier to do the factory restore. :)

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
While everyone I talk to likes their Tables the one thing I am finding is that they are a Techs nightmare. There is no standardization. The Android OS is coded for the Tablet. This means that a fix for one Tablet may be useless for another. Is there a way to fix these problems without doing a factory restore? Yes but you need an intimate knowledge of Android and the debugging tools to do it. It is easier to do the factory restore. :)
Very true, it is about time I invest in an android tablet just to learn android better.

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
I disagree LC. There's a lot more you can do with root than you truly know. Busybox and terminal emulator are designed for root, and if you have access to ART, you can read the output as you go. If we 'didn't have control even with root', CarrierIQ would never of been found.

Resetting a device, even a crappy device from an unknown manufacturer should be easy enough. Have the drivers installed, then use adb reboot recovery and do a factory reset.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I disagree LC. There's a lot more you can do with root than you truly know. Busybox and terminal emulator are designed for root, and if you have access to ART, you can read the output as you go. If we 'didn't have control even with root', CarrierIQ would never of been found.

Resetting a device, even a crappy device from an unknown manufacturer should be easy enough. Have the drivers installed, then use adb reboot recovery and do a factory reset.
I agree Belahzur but how many Tab users have the knowledge of the Android OS to even use the terminal emulator? I bought a cheap Tab just to play with and It doesn't matter one whit to me if I brick the bloody thing because it is a learning experience. Truthfully, I haven't even scratched the surface of what is possible with it. Agree or not Mate, your knowledge makes you an exception to the rule. Most just want it to work. :)

Belahzur

Freedom Fighter
Security Advisor
iHF Regular
Technically speaking also, OEM's should allow root access, it's safer from malware.

Without root access, a malicious exploit will run and do it's thing un-noticed. However with root, a malicious exploit would have to request su.bin and trigger Superuser alert, which can then be denied and blocked, no app can automatically have /system - root level access without being authorized by the user when Superuser is triggered by something requesting permissions.