1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

Conversation Anti virus Question

Discussion in 'Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal Help' started by Claw, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Claw

Claw Member iHF Regular

Hey guys, been a while. Well anyway, I'm trying to find out if any of you have any experience with Roboscan ? I know it's like the equivalent of ALYac antivirus used by Virus Total. I'm trying it out now and it is very, very light on resources and no computer slowdown at all. It also uses the default Tera engine and the Bitdefender engine. All's good so far, I was just wondering if there's any nasty surprises coming my way by using it. Thanks.

2. driver_ian

driver_ian In at the Deep End... Administrator iHF Legend Security Advisor

I can't comment on Roboscan as I have not used it.

Are there any nasty surprises coming your way??? That may depend on your web habits...

No antivirus software is perfect so having a good security schema is the best way of helping you stay malware free.

Stay away from the darker side of the web, never open attachments from people you do not know, avoid using P2P softwares and also take care when installing new software (including updates for already installed software). Some installs include 'extras' as part of the package which are usually unwanted.

Scanning your machine regularly with Malwarebytes AntiMalware will also help by finding malware that antivirus softwares will often miss.

Claw, Cameldung, DCiAdmin and 2 others like this.
  3. Claw

Claw Member iHF Regular

Hey driver_ian, thanks for getting back to me so quick. Buddy I know all the rules, I was just wondering if there were any reports on this AV as being good, but then in a little time it starts, eating your system alive. To me the program seems outdated but the Tera and Bitdefender engines are updating as is the all the definitions, but support is non existent and the homepage seems like it hasn't been touched or tended to in a couple years. I was wondering if I should tell people to keep it or, keep away from it.

4. DCiAdmin

DCiAdmin Always room to learn a bit more Administrator iHF Legend WCG Team Member

PC Magazine writes a review of Roboscan here. Their final comment - "At least it's free!" doesn't say much for the tool.

It's also available at Softpedia, which I consider bottom of the barrel when it comes to downloads. It may not be worth it, Claw.

5. Malnutrition

Malnutrition Still Hungry iHF Master Craftsman

Very light on resources. I have sent you a PM so that you can see how it stands up in testing..... I would personally pair it with something like this, you can run these alongside each other, if you do install SecureAPlus then decline the offline AV since you have RoboScan, with the two of them together you should have pretty solid security on your machine. SecureAplus uses whitelisting and when you try and execute any file on your machine it is ran through virus total automatically for you.

RoboScan is no the greatest against adware but it is a solid IMO. Pairing these two together will be very light on system and each will pick up what the other lacks.

SecureAPlus-Cloud-based Antivirus.

Claw and veeg like this.
  6. Cameldung

Cameldung I Like It Here iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Can I also add something to your security schema, and that is regular image backups. Remember if you don't care to backup, you don't care about your data.:D

7. Claw

Claw Member iHF Regular

Thanks guys. Nothing like hearing from the Gods of Wisdom. :mrgreen:

DCiAdmin likes this.