• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Apple Sues iPhone Screen Repairer and Loses

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
He made some very valid points. I was in the repair business for many years and even back then Apple was more proprietary than any device maker I ever dealt with. I talked to Apple about being a Authorized Repair Center some years ago. When I had my lawyer go over the contract I realized what a mistake that would be. I would buy replacement parts at their inflated cost. All diagnostic material would come out of my back pocket at an inflated price and they demanded a percentage of my repair fee. At the time I was an Apple Dealer. I had my lawyer cancel my contract and gave $15,000 worth of Apple products to the local school. They tried to sue me for giving those products away but I had the sale receipts for them.

This is not surprising because it has been happening for years. Companies don't want you to repair their products. That is why repair parts got more and more expensive to the point that the repair shops made less for their time to the point it cost more to repair than replace. Anyone who says you can't do component repair doesn't know what they are talking about. I did it for many years. Forgive me but I could hardly give a Shyte about the Right To Repair Movement. It should be a no brainer to anyone that this Use and Toss mentality is not sustainable. I could go into the many reasons why but why waste my breath. I do agree on one thing. We pay for a product so we own it. If we want to have it fixed then that is our right.

*Disclaimer: The above rant is my own and in no way reflect the views and opinions of the Owners and Staff of iHelpForum.com. Any disagreement with my comments and statements should be taken up with me.*

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Great rant my friend, I wish we had something better than a like button.

My two cents worth #$%& Apple... :meh:
Thank you Arctos. I'm old school so I always thought that you fixed what you sold. It was sales and service. Then came the day when device makers made it harder and harder to do repairs. I think it was RCA that made it so difficult to get detailed schematics on their TVs so it was easier and cheaper to send the electronics or motherboards (as they were called back then) back to them for repair. Some companies today are making repair schematics more available but now the schools don't teach component repair any more. Those that do it today are either old fossils like me or have learned it the hard way by trial and error. I say bless them for their efforts. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
@Crush - For the record. I have watched many of Mr Rossmann's videos. I understand him and what he does. My only gripe is that he portrays himself as a teacher of the craft but in fact he is just advertising his services. His information is good but if you look very close at his work station you will see lots of dollar signs in the equipment he has. Not something the everyday Tech can afford if he wants to feed his family. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
LC, you'll really enjoy this

Linus is such a cry baby. LOL! Yeah, I saw that one when it came out. You need to remember one thing in that situation. That iMAC Pro was a first run model and as such all parts go into production with service replacements being secondary. I am not defending Apple. The business model is carp, to put it nicely, but the people at Apple think too highly of themselves and their product. I doubt there is anyone in Admin that knows squat about being a Tech or Service Rep and think to highly about there branding. :)

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
That iMAC Pro was a first run model and as such all parts go into production with service replacements being secondary
Right, but to actually not be ABLE to repair the thing even when throwing money at them, Apple must be smoking something.

From a logistics perspective if you have parts to produce, you have parts to repair (or just replace the damn thing!)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Right, but to actually not be ABLE to repair the thing even when throwing money at them, Apple must be smoking something.

From a logistics perspective if you have parts to produce, you have parts to repair (or just replace the damn thing!)
I agree Mate but proper logistics doesn't do anything for the profit margin. There is no profit in repair and service the way Apple's business model works. They can produce the units cheaper if the parts production only fills the unit quota. Only after a full run falls off do they stock for repair and service. They count on the sold units falling out of warranty before failure and hope failure and damage is minimal. They market to those who are most likely to trade up. For all of their pomp and circumstance, Apples designs for their products is just lipstick on a pig or in this case lipstick on an Intel PC. Only thing different is firmware and software. Oh and multi-million dollar marketing that tells you how great they are. :lol:

Oh my! I can hear the Apple Fanboys calling for my head. I see them coming now with torches and pitchforks. They are ready to burn me at the stake for heresy.:roflmao:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
As if that's going to happen mate...
I love Trolls and Fanboys Arctos. They are like monkeys in a zoo. It is fun to watch their antics as they swing from their own high opinions of themselves but you have to be careful because they like to sling their own shyte at you. :lol:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
You really are trying to pull my chain Turtleman. Apple has always tried to be a single source manufacturer. Even in the days when most all device makers used and sold proprietary products, Apple lead the pack. Do you know why they can get away with it and still make money? Because John Q. Public doesn't care. An Apple product is seen as Status. Why else would anyone pay $900 for a phone when a $200 Android phone will do the same thing. Is Apple fixing the updates to break their phones when it has third party replacement parts? What do you think. It can be proven if anyone cared to look deep enough. Look at a Windows machine, you change motherboards or make enough changes to the PC and what happens. Not the same situation? Think again. It is the failure of the software that bricks the phone. There is only two ways to end the stupidity. Legislation or just stop buying Apple. I can tell you which I would choose. Legislation is only temporary because there will be some smart lawyer out there who can talk a Unicorn out of its horn who will convince judges and law makers he is God's own brain. If people stop buying Apple the money drain will wake the beast. :meh::bear: