• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

ATT Access Service and Regular ATT Service?

napy666

http://www.nataliezworld.com/
I currently have ATT Uverse internet service, I have their AT&T Internet Basic 6, Up to 6 Mbps download. But I recently found out about their new service called Access from ATT&T. Where you only pay $10 or $5 a month for internet service, but you have to be on SSI or get SNAP services to get this deal.

The internet plans they offer are as follows,

Service availability and speed may vary by address. AT&T will assign you the fastest of these speed tiers available* where you live:

10 megabits per second, for $10 per month**
5 megabits per second, for $10 per month
3 megabits per second, for $5 per month

1.5 megabits per second, for $5 per month

768 kilobits per second, for $5 per month

There are five possible program speed tiers.* If you're assigned a speed of 10 or 5Mbps, you'll pay only $10 per month.** And if your speed is 3 or 1.5Mbps or 768Kbps, you'll pay just $5 per month. You'll be assigned the highest speed available where you live.

There is also an allowance to watch out for with this service - Service will include a monthly data allowance of either 150GB or 1TB of data per month depending on the type and speed of service you receive. If you exceed your monthly data plan allowance, you will be automatically charged $10 for each 50GB of data usage in excess of your data plan, even if less than 50 gigabytes is used. For more information, go to att.com/internet-usage.

So is this AT&T Access deal a BETTER option or WORSE option available? Should I go with this offer or just stick to my current plan, which I pay $55.00 a month for. What do you think? Thanks for the help!

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Unless you are on Social Security Supplemental Income or the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, both low income programs, then you are not eligible for AT&T's Access program. The Federal Government mandated that everyone should have equal access to Internet Services. To help provide these low cost services AT&T attaches a surcharge to your phone bill to offset the cost of these services. Unless you have documented proof you fall into this low income category you will have to pay full price for said services.

As for better or worse the point is moot. It is the same AT&T service you get not with the exception that regular service allows you 250Gb of data where Access only allows 50Gb.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
As for better or worse the point is moot. It is the same AT&T service you get not with the exception that regular service allows you 250Gb of data where Access only allows 50Gb.
Interesting point that, less you pay less you get.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I get unlimited downloads, which is handy when streaming from Netflix and Fetch TV Movies.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Interesting point that, less you pay less you get.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I get unlimited downloads, which is handy when streaming from Netflix and Fetch TV Movies.
Actually it is just a shuffle of the cards Mate. For the 250Gb bandwidth I pay $55 USD. That adds up to around $10 USD per 50Gb. Only thing is I am not offered the tier service. I could do with 150Gb service saving me $20 USD. That's 100Gb I never use. I could probably get by with a 100Gb a month but I always believe in allowing for expansion. :)