• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Avast Free Registration

Claw

iHF Regular
Lord Chance, that's what was happening to me. It was taking Chrome longer to open pages and Firefox was taking forever to load.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Lord Chance, that's what was happening to me. It was taking Chrome longer to open pages and Firefox was taking forever to load.
I can not say that the slow down is wholly Avast's fault. Soon updates for your browsers and other software will make them incompatible with XP.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hey dudes, I'm back. I've decided to take a vacation from Avast. Revo uninstaller wouldn't remove it, but the Avast removal tool worked like a charm. Right now I'm using Bitdefender free, and then I'm going to give Panda Free a shot and see how that one is.
If you are just randomly trying AV Programs, Webroot Secure Anywhere has a 15 day trial for any version. (I suggest Internet Security Plus).
http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/trials

Webroot is very lightweight, keeps itself updated, and is simple to use.. Downside is that it is a paid product, and only has a free trial no free edition.

Claw

iHF Regular
Thanks NBK*Twitch, I'm actually trying 360 Total Security at the moment and I'm really impressed at the responsiveness of my system. Thanks again for you Webroot recommendation, I'll definitely keep it in mind. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Thanks NBK*Twitch, I'm actually trying 360 Total Security at the moment and I'm really impressed at the responsiveness of my system. Thanks again for you Webroot recommendation, I'll definitely keep it in mind. :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Not a problem, I always like trying new programs.

Sir Trews

iHF Regular
Just my opinion, Nick, but I think Panda sucks. I trialed it at the office and it wasn't great. Didn't have good reviews either.

I know you have already removed Avast, but as an FYI, you can check the registration of Avast from Opening the Avast console -> Settings. It will tell you there the registration of the Avast account.
Have to agree with DCi here... Panda was pretty much worthless..all around...one other thing.. a format doesn't always 'get' everything.... if your system has a partitioned disk, only Fdisk will get it all.. it already knew you were there... just a thought.

Claw

iHF Regular
Hey just an update here. As of right now, I'm trying out BitDefender Free, and this is real nice. Set it and forget it. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to manually run a scan, but other than that little wobble,it runs with no ill effects at all. Not one ounce of slowdown. Very impressive.

Claw

iHF Regular
Switched Bitdefender Free to the Vista and I'm running Panda Free on this machine, seems to be a lot more responsive with Panda.

Claw

iHF Regular
Hey thanks Jonno. How's everything from the land down under ?.It's good to see you here, now the team is back together. I'm using Panda Free at the moment, but you know me, I have to test everything. See ya around buddy.

JoninOz

iHF Regular
Hi Nick,
All well here, I sent an email to a couple of FBB ex-members, JST and JohnT and with hope, they will follow the Yellow Brick Road to an honourable site.
Best wishes a voi famiglia........;)