• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Battery Dead for Good?

napy666

http://www.nataliezworld.com/
Living in California the weather here as of last week into this week, has been in the 100's to lower 90s. Either way I am always online using my laptop, as its plugged in on and off throughout each day. But tonight I noticed it was plugged in, but said "Plugged in but not charging" I went ahead and did a battery test and it said FAILED.

I've been this HP laptop running Windows 7 which I got from Walmart back in 2012 I think it was, so had it for 5 years or so, so it is old and no longer under warranty either. Here are what the battery test results gave me -

What to do?

Claw

iHF Regular
Hey napy666, Unplug the computer, then shut the computer off by using the power button, then remove the battery for about 10 minutes. While the battery is out hold the power button down for a minute or 2 then but the battery back in and turn the computer on, plug it back in and see if it starts charging.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Claw is correct in suggestion you need to try to do a battery calibration. Some time the battery will not pass if the calibration is off. Claw
s method works of you can use the recommended method by HP. Both achieve the same result in the end.

Step 1: Charge the battery
  1. Plug in the power cord.
  2. Charge the battery to a full charge.
  3. When the battery is fully charged, proceed.
Step 2: Discharge the battery
  1. Disconnect the power cord.
  2. Shutdown the computer.
  3. Press the power button to start the computer.
  4. Press the Esc key when the HP or Compaq logo screen appears. You might have to try this more than once to see the Startup menu. If Windows opens, shut down the computer and start again.
  5. Press F2 to select F2 System Diagnostics in the Startup Menu.
  6. Click Hard Disk Test.
  7. Leave the computer on and allow the battery to fully discharge while doing the Hard Disk Test.
    NOTE:
    You are doing the Hard Disk Test only to drain or discharge the battery, not to get the results of the test. The battery discharges and the computer turns off before the test results display.
Step 3: Recharge the battery
  1. Plug in the power cord to charge the battery.
  2. Charge the battery to a full charge, 99%-100%.
  3. Check the battery charge. Turn on the computer and start Windows normally. Mouse over the battery icon in the system tray.
    NOTE:
    The battery continues to charge with the computer on or off.
  4. After reaching a full charge, keep the computer attached to the power cord for (at least) 2.5 hours.
    NOTE:
    If you plug in your power cord and immediately run the HP Battery Check, you might get a false failure showing the battery is bad. If the battery is in a low charge state (at less than 3%) you might also get a false reading.
Step 4: Run the battery test
  1. Ensure that the power cord is plugged in.
  2. Press the power button to start the computer.
  3. Press Esc on the keyboard when the HP or Compaq logo screen appears.
  4. Press F2 to select F2 System Diagnostics in the startup menu.
  5. Click Battery Test.
  6. Click Start Battery Test on the Battery Test page.
    The Battery Test page shows Test in progress and displays the Estimated Time Remaining.
    The results of the battery test display on the Battery Test page. If the battery is calibrated, the Battery Test reports PASSED.
    If the battery status is “Calibrate”, run the battery test again. If the battery does not calibrate a second time it might need to be replaced.

Claw

iHF Regular
Sorry Highlander, yes I meant to put the battery back in. Thanks for catching that.

napy666

I have tried all that you have suggested, I did the Battery Test from the F2 screen thing this morning and it said it was testing and it was Calibrate-ing and then it showed the FAILED screen again. I did the other test through HP Support Assistant and that said Calibrate, do the other battery test via HP Support Assistant and just said Calibrate so yeah.

The only other option I did not try was the "Unplug the computer, then shut the computer off by using the power button, then remove the battery for about 10 minutes. While the battery is out hold the power button down for a minute or 2 then but the battery back in and turn the computer on, plug it back in and see if it starts charging."

Should I or is my battery dead?

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If the battery is not fully charged then the test will fail. If you are convinced that the batters is bad then a replacement battery will cost between $20 and $80 USD. Usually the standard OEM replacement on Amazon.com is around $20 to $40 USD depending on the seller. If that is the original battery then I would suspect it is failing. Batteries only go thru so many charge/discharge cycles before they need to be replaced.

napy666

Haha yeah, it was 100 charged and then I took it off charging and used my laptop as normal, then when the battery was dying, I plugged it in, and it says "plugged in but not charging". Its at 40%.

Claw

iHF Regular
Unplug the computer, remove the battery then plug the computer back in without the battery and see if it gets power, if it does your battery is bad.

napy666

Unplug the computer, remove the battery then plug the computer back in without the battery and see if it gets power, if it does your battery is bad.
Okay I unplugged the laptop and took out the battery then re-plugged the computer back on, without the battery and it loaded fine, and I am using my laptop plugged in, typing this to you, with no battery in.

So does this mean the battery is good or bad?

I also did try the other method you suggested as well.

napy666

Okay now I put the battery back in, loaded the laptop back on and plugged the charger in as well, and it is charging now. BUT will it charge okay later today who knows.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Okay now I put the battery back in, loaded the laptop back on and plugged the charger in as well, and it is charging now. BUT will it charge okay later today who knows.
You will eventually have to purchase a new battery.

I would pay the < US $50.00 price for a new battery now, as I would not be pigphriggin around with my notebook battery.

napy666

oh I see. Well I will see about buying a new battery then. How do I know which model of battery I should buy, because the model number is on the battery and then the inside of the battery compartment space too.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
How do I know which model of battery I should buy, because the model number is on the battery and then the inside of the battery compartment space too.
It seems logical to me, to order the battery according to the battery and battery space number.

Claw

iHF Regular
I had a feeling the battery was bad but I was trying to exhaust every option to keep from spending money on a new battery. Arctos is right, you should get the battery as soon as you can just to keep from getting caught without it when you need it.

napy666

Well I am noticing now that the battery is charging fine so should I just stick with this battery or buy a new one?

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If you can afford it, I suggest you do both. Batteries do not get 100% well. The battery will go bad again and next time it may not recover. Just a suggestion.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Well I am noticing now that the battery is charging fine so should I just stick with this battery or buy a new one?
As I have said, buy a new battery and you will prolong the life of the laptop.

Messing around with a nearly dead battery is most probably costing you time, therefore it's costing you money.