• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

BoincTasks Linux and Windows version together

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi guys. Long time no see. I just decided to set up my Windows 7 PC and my Linux Mint PC.
I managed to get the Linux Mint BoincTasks to see the Windows 7 Boinc tasks.
Nowever, the Windows 7 BoincTasks cannot see the Lunix BoincTasks.
As far as I can tell both units are set up the same.

Any advice is most helpful,
Highlander aka Gandalf

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hello Lord Wizard. It is a pleasure to see you again. While I have never used BoincTasks I did look it up and it gives me to wonder if your windows 7 problem is a permissions issue. If I read correctly BT makes a remote gui RPC call which will be blocked by the firewall in many instances. Are you getting an error message?:)

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Lord Pussy (Cat). The devil made me say that. Firewall? That is something I haven't looked into. I shall do so forthwith. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks Meow. :)

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I showed the BoincTasks in the Tasks page. If I changed to the Computers page it shows the IP Address 192.168.1.68 and the MAC Address 10-78-D2-8A-DA-06. I found out the LinuxMint by default has the Firewall OFF. As an test I turned my Windows Firewall OFF. No joy yet.

"read the ****ing manual"? Where is the fun in that?
I see the Language critics are alive and well in iHF

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Win 7 needs Port 31416 and the TCP protocol set in the firewall inbound rules I believe. Try the below.

In 7, Orb->Control Panel->System and Security->Windows Firewall (standard) or Orb->Control Panel->Windows Firewall (Control Panel as Menu), click Advanced Settings.
In the Advanced window select Inbound Rules, then New Rule
Rule Type - select Port, click Next
Protocol and Ports - leave 'TCP' selected, enter "31416" in the 'Specific local ports' field, then click Next
Action - leave 'Allow the connection' selected and click Next
Profile - leave all 3 boxes selcted and click Next
Name - enter "BOINCTasks (TCP-In 31416)" in the Name field, and in the description something like
"Allows an inbound connection on TCP Port 31416 so BOINCTasks can monitor the local BOINC client from another networked computer."

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
"Are you running BoincTasks on the Windows 7 machine or the Mint Linux Machine?"
Both. I'm trying to get Linux to send its BoincTasks to the Windows 7 BoincTasks.
And no, I do not have Windows 10.

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Here is the Linux BoincTasks snapshot. As you can see, both the Eldmar (the Windows 7 tasks) and the MiddleEarth (Linux tasks) are together on the same Tasks page. Windows 7 should display the same image. Reference my other posted Image #2.

Attachments

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I'm trying to get Linux to send its BoincTasks to the Windows 7 BoincTasks.
Did you edit the "remote_host.cfg" and "gui_rpc_auth.cfg" files?

Allow remote access to the BOINC client:

Click on “Search your computer” , in the search field type ‘terminal‘ and select the terminal icon.
In the terminal type ‘sudo nautilus‘, in the next screen click on ‘+ Other locations’.
Now select ‘computer‘ and enter the folder ‘var‘ ,’lib‘ and ‘boinc-client‘ \var\lib\boinc-client.

Right click on the file ‘remote_host.cfg‘, open with text editor and at the end of the file enter the IPv4 adres (or addresses each on a new line, without any spaces or comma) of your BoincTasks computer. It is best to setup a fixed IP address on the computer running BoincTasks.
Now open ‘gui_rpc_auth.cfg‘ and enter a password. So this is a file that only contains the password, or is empty when you don’t use a password.
In the upper right hand corner, click on the two arrow (network) icon, next click on ‘Connection information‘, write down the IPv4 adress and the MAC (Hardware Address).

Restart the BOINC client:

For the changes to take effert, restart the computer or the BOINC client.
Go to the ‘Terminal’ and type /etc/init.d/boinc-client restart
The BOINC client is restarting and the changes will take effect.

Connect to BoincTasks:

In BoincTasks, select ‘Computer->Find computers‘, the address is the start of the adress range of the IPv4 of the remote computer.
Click Scan address range, the remote computer should show up, if it doesn’t check, your firewall.

Select the checkbox left of the IP and MAC of the remote computer and click on ‘Add selected’.
If the IP address of the remote computer isn’t fixed or you don’t know, click on the IP Address and make it blank, so it leaves the MAC Address. The MAC Address will be used to find the IP Address of the remote computer.
You know the IP address and the remote computer IP address is static, leave the IP Address in the field, this connects slightly faster than with the MAC Address.
If needed fill in the Password or make sure to leave it blank.

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi Bear, you must have given us a good luck charm. I don't know how, but the Windows 7 BoincTasks image is fixed... Both Linux and Windows tasks are all represented ... Thanks guys Three guys are always better than one.

Attachments