• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Car trouble.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I did just check my idiling earlier today, it idles at just above the middle line between 0 an 1.

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I did just check my idiling earlier today, it idles at just above the middle line between 0 an 1.
That doesn't really tell us much, because depending on the vehicle idle speeds do vary. Normally they are somewhere between 600-1000rpm. If too low it could also contribute to a rough feel.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
That doesn't really tell us much, because depending on the vehicle idle speeds do vary. Normally they are somewhere between 600-1000rpm. If too low it could also contribute to a rough feel.
That means it was sitting at 600 RPM. I guess that is average. I did get my oil changed back in October, through my partners dad. If her dad gets me free oil changes I like him... lol...

Anyways, As of late usually while driving after a bit, the oil gauge has been dipping, still within the white,but lower then where it should be.

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If it's an older vehicle with high mileage, it's quite normal for the oil pressure to be its highest, when the engine and oil are cold, and then drop down when it gets warmer as it thins which lessens the pressure.

If it's a very high mileage vehicle, a person can often observe the oil pressure drop while sitting at a light idling, then rise upon leaving when the light goes green, as you now increase the pressure through higher engine rpms.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I'm not familiar with that model of automobile, but would just add that in case it has two motor mounts, then change them both, because if one is gone the other is likely not far behind.
Yes, that vehicle has at least two motor mounts for the engine. I would be surprised if it's not four.

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
it has been awhile since I gave an update on this... This problem has changed slightly.

It no longer makes a whaling sound or squeaking. After I hit a big bump it has stopped doing that and is now making more of a washing sound. Kind of like wish wash wish wash.

My brother suggest it is the bearings in the back axel going out? I did a bit of research and others suggest that as a possibility.

Is this probable? If it is, the repair costs sound expensive. Would it be better to trade in and get a new car?

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If your vehicles engine is running rough at low speed I would recommend you first check the cylinder compressions, and if that's ok, then check the induction system for air leaks, including the injector seals.

Suggest you don't go changing engine mounts as a first option. A bush mechanics way of a quick check on them is to apply the handbrake, and foot brake, open the hood, put in in forward gear and use a little throttle whilst looking at the engine through the gap at the rear of the hood. Try the same in reverse gear, you'll soon see if you've got a broken engine mount, the engine will lift up considerably. It is quite normal to see some movement though.

It is nigh on impossible to diagnose a worn axle or wheel bearing without driving the vehicle, have a mechanic drive it for you, should be able to tell without any hassle?

Good luck

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
My brother does work in mechanics and has rode in the vehicle. But I can get him to check that too. This still doesn't answer my other question. If it is infact said problem.. Would it be more cost effective for me to trade in for a new car.

Hi,

don't know if you're still having issues or not. But if your car is smoking white smoke (or not) and you're having rough idle I almost guarantee its your intake manifold gasket. Coolant runs through the intake on the 4.3s and a lot of other engines and with a bad gasket not only could outside air be getting in, coolant could also be leaking into your engine... we all know fire and water don't mix, this is more than likely why you have a rough idle. 4.3s are notorious for intake manifold gaskets going bad.

Also on my wife's old one we had that problem. AND shortly after that the egr went bad, causing a rough idle and causing the car to die at a stop. The egr valve recirculates exhaust gas into the intake, having inert gas in there...well if that inert (non flammable gas I.e. c02) isn't in your intake your engine is making a bigger fire than it should be and could also cause a rough idle...or in my case, the engine to die while it's at a stop.

also I doubt it's your rearend going bad. If it were the axle or differential it'd definitely be popping and grinding...not 'whooshing' I'd put my money on wheel bearings. The whole hub assembly can be bought from eBay for relatively cheap around $50. That'll include bearing and all.

Hope this helps