• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Changing Passwords Every so Often?

napy666

http://www.nataliezworld.com/
iHF Regular
Is it true to avoid getting your computers hacked into, you need to change your password for your various accounts, every so often?

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
A password is like a toothbrush - don't let others use yours and get a new one every six months.

Password Managers like KeePass and LastPass make that much easier generating "random" passwords for you of varying configurable complexity.

Another level I would recommend, is for accounts that allow it, use two factor authentication via your cell phone

napy666

http://www.nataliezworld.com/
iHF Regular
Are those password sites really worth using? What if you forget your password since it's mixed up at random.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
KeePass is a stand alone program that manages your passwords and encrypts your login data so it is safe. You enter your login username and password then KeePass save it to a database. It keeps you from having to write down and remember login details.

KeePass

LastPass goes a step further and saves your login details to the cloud.

LastPass

I prefer KeePass and find it worth the small effort to setup.

KeePass Screen Shots

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Are those password sites really worth using? What if you forget your password since it's mixed up at random.
With KeePass you can export your passwords / database and save it somewhere safe, when you want a password to get into your account at a website just open KP and copy the passord, then paste it into the website.