• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solved Choke a chicken, throttle a router

Antman

Because, you know, Obama.
Advisor
I have an application where I want to throttle the total bandwidth available to, or through, a secondary router. It is a multiple tenancy environment and the secondary tenants do not pay for service.

Topo:
FiOS ONT to Actiontec MI424WR via coax
MI424WR to D-Link DIR-655
MI424WR to HDHomerun Prime
All jumpers and runs are CAT6

I want to restrict the available bandwidth to the D-Link. I would prefer to configure this throttle through the router that does NOT serve the secondary tenants. It does not matter which router serves the secondary tenants. All connections to the secondary router are wireless.

The secondary tenants must be restricted from accessing the HDHomerun.

In the D-Link, if I throttle the WAN port to 10 or 100, I lose internet. QoS settings require a level of comprehension that I do not possess.

I thought it could be as simple as connecting the FiOS router to the D-Link with a CAT3 cable. But that means I would have to spend money on the CAT3 jumper. I am not certain it would work anyway.

Bandwidth available through FiOS is 50u/50d. I want the D-Link to throttle at 20u/20d.

Antman

Advisor
Thanks, LC.

Please describe in excruciatingly minute detail exactly how I should configure the settings. Please include photos.

Or, come on down...

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Thanks, LC.

Please describe in excruciatingly minute detail exactly how I should configure the settings. Please include photos.

Or, come on down...
I don't think you want me to come there Antman. You would have to feed me very well. :D

I have thought about your problem and even called a Verizon tech I know. He tells me that he suggest QoS be left alone. It is not worth the trouble it can cause. He suggested getting a short patch cable and slipping a 10/100 unmanaged switch between the Actiontec router and the D-link. Cheaper than setting up a FreeRadius server.

Antman

Advisor
Unless I cook, we do eat quite well.

I agree 100% re: QoS.

What I am going to try -
remove the twists from a 10 ft run of CAT5 and use that as my jumper to the second router. I may even loop it tightly.

100 is too fast. This is just an access point and not a network application, per se.