• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Copying to external hard drive

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
2 identical Astone (usb2) 3.5 inch sata hard drive enclosures, and was amazed when windoze 7 said it would take 2hours 30 minutes to copy a 39GB file to it. I tried it on the other Astone enclosure and windows reported 11 minutes to copy it, which after a minute went to 19 minutes.

There was plenty of space left on the 1TB drives, so I pulled the cases apart and the faster one had a seagate 7200 sata drive in it and the other had a wd "green" 1TB drive.

Are green drives really that slow, or is there another reason, I guess I could swap the drives in the enclosures for an experiment?

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=780

WD Green storage is tested and recommended for primary use in desktop and All-in-One PCs, as secondary storage for archiving, in external cases or as reliable backup storage. Storage and backup functionality is not intended for rapid response use. IMO, 2 hours 30 minutes is fine. Just set up the backup to happen when you are not intending to use the PC. Like when you are sleeping.