• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Creators Upgrade.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
So Micro$oft have given me a bit of notice that they want to restart Win 10 to finish the install of this so called "upgrade". I set it up so that I will not be home while it is doing it's thang.

There was a popup yesterday asking me to check security settings with a padlock on it so knew it was on it's way.

I decide to go with it in the end as I cannot be bothered to pigfrig around with reg hacks any more. I am getting to old for this sh!t now.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Got home yesterday arvo to a desktop screen with a blue popup saying Ready to enjoy all of the new features bull sh!t. Please restart etc.90 minutes later it finally booted into 1703.

All of my hacks to get rid of the rubbish when I first got Win 10 were still in place except the OneDrive icon was back in Windows Explorer or whatever it's called. A quick rerun of the reg hack I have got rid of that. I have not found anything else out of place with a quick look yesterday.

As @Lord Chance said, Defender is down near the clock running side by side with my other anti malware stuff, I will have to look in OO ShutUP 10 to see if there is a switch to get rid of that one showing up.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
As @Lord Chance said, Defender is down near the clock running side by side with my other anti malware stuff, I will have to look in OO ShutUP 10 to see if there is a switch to get rid of that one showing up.
Windows Defender as the antivirus is not the problem Mate. It is Windows Defender Security Center that I object to. All Microsloth did was force all of the security features to run under one banner plus the have increased the services running in the background thus creating a situation where you either buy more memory to share the load or suffer a slowdown in your system. I have used OO Shutup to disable many things but it doesn't go far enough. Microsloth is starting to integrate many of their features so it is harder to disable what you don't want. I am this >< close to turning off my PC and chit canning the whole lot. This is the very reason it is getting easier for the bloody hacker, cracker and script kiddies to plant carp on our PC's. But that is a whole other rant. The TurtleMan is going to get tired of my foul mood at any time. Can you say Ban Hamma? :meh:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Wasn't a bloody thing in that update that I even wanted. I don't use Edge and I darn sure won't use Windows Store to get Ebooks. I don't game and you already know how I feel about Windows Defender Security Center. As for Cortana, it can (censored sarcasm). Sorry Mate. I feel they just wasted our time and bandwidth. :caution:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
As for Cortana, it can (censored sarcasm).
I was sweating bullets that M$ had not made Cortana hard to disable, but my Cortana hack still worked. :D

Edge is bloatware just like it's older relation IE, I have got rid of all links to it in the start menu, I only see mention of Edge in CCleaner that it is a gathering dust in the background.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Cortana is tied in with the search function so it will always be a ghost in the shell and now they are doing the same with Defender. MS is falling back into their old habits of trying to make you use only their products much like they did in the Browser Wars with IE. How soon people forget history.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
This concerning disabling Windows Defender Security Center was found on the MicroSloth Partner Network website. M$ support talked around the issue but the workaround was posed by a 3rd party. And yes, at this point it is a Reg hack.

Code:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService

Set the start type to 3.

Go to Task Manager, Startup, right click on Windows Defender Notification icon, click Disable.  Reboot.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
This concerning disabling Windows Defender Security Center was found on the MicroSloth Partner Network website. M$ support talked around the issue but the workaround was posed by a 3rd party. And yes, at this point it is a Reg hack.

Code:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService

Set the start type to 3.

Go to Task Manager, Startup, right click on Windows Defender Notification icon, click Disable.  Reboot.
Good one mate, will do that for the next reboot.

I have just cleaned the old Win install stuff out, of course M$ in there infinite wisdom have left a folder that is protected and I do not have permissions to delete. I will fix that one later when I remember the program I used on Win 7 to get rid of sh!te like that.

Edit: The update took away my right click and take ownership thingy I reinstted that one and the folder has gone all gone now. Also I could not get Unlocker 1.9.1 to work in Win 10.

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Code:
Set the start type to 3.

Go to Task Manager, Startup, right click on Windows Defender Notification icon, click Disable. Reboot.
I have just had a look at doing it as you suggest with the reg hack, but I had a look in Task Manager / Setup first, and found I could right click on Disable without doing the reg hack bit. Still needed to reboot to finish it though.

This might help the tree people who do not like to fiddle about in the registry. :D

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have just had a look at doing it as you suggest with the reg hack, but I had a look in Task Manager / Setup first, and found I could right click on Disable without doing the reg hack bit. Still needed to reboot to finish it though.

This might help the tree people who do not like to fiddle about in the registry. :D
The part about the Task Manager is just to disable the Notification Icon in the task bar. The Reg hack kills the Security Health Service which is the Windows Defender Security Center itself. For most of the Tree People I would suggest they just leave it alone. My real problem with Windows Defender Security Center is that it takes control and if truth is known it phones home to MicroSloth. After all, they are worried about you. Right? :rolleyes:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The part about the Task Manager is just to disable the Notification Icon in the task bar. The Reg hack kills the Security Health Service which is the Windows Defender Security Center itself. For most of the Tree People I would suggest they just leave it alone. My real problem with Windows Defender Security Center is that it takes control and if truth is known it phones home to MicroSloth. After all, they are worried about you. Right? :rolleyes:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh right!, I thought I was on a winner there, I will do the reg hack later on when I got a bit more coffee in me.

So tree people you will have to go down this road as well, we gotta stop M$ from %$##&^(( phoning home. :meh:

Edit: Done thanks LC. :D

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have been tempted to use Classic Menu, but I have persevered with the Win 10 start and have got it to where I find it tolerable with some editing.
You are a better man than I Arctos. All of the programs I use have a short cut on the Desktop so I rarely use the Start Menu. Win 10's menu is too cluttered for my taste and I have never cared to the bling it tries to sell you on. Besides, those Metro Tiles give me the $hits. :D

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I only use the character map alot really on that start menu, all the rest of my shortcuts are on top of the screen on the desktop. I use the Winstep Nexus Dock the free version does all I need.
I had been meaning to ask you what you used on your Desktop. It gives it a cleaner less cluttered look. :mrgreen: