• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

External HD issue

Gallorg

iHF Regular
Hi Guys,

I have a external HD which has just started to play up, when i plug the usb in it makes its clunk noise as usual but it doesnt show in MY Computer, but it seems to be in the bit where you click to remove usbs safely.
The light is on & i can hear it whirring away, has any one got any ideas
cheers

Update - On Computer management there is a unknown & Not Initalized

Last edited by a moderator:

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Post image of Device Manager, please.
Clunk noise is probably the fan.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi Guys,

I have a external HD which has just started to play up, when i plug the usb in it makes its clunk noise as usual but it doesnt show in MY Computer, but it seems to be in the bit where you click to remove usbs safely.
The light is on & i can hear it whirring away, has any one got any ideas
cheers
If it makes "clunk" noises, it may be the click of death and the hard drive is on the way out.

Backup and replace the drive as they are cheap as chips now...

Gallorg

iHF Regular
Capture 1.JPG Hi HIghlander, i dont think its the fan as the sound sounds more electronic, its the same noise when i remove the drive as well

oh here's the attachment,

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
This is not the Device Manager.
On the left side, of the image you provided, shows Device Manager. Click on that option and repost, please.

I assume your external "bad" HDD was connected when you took the image.
Disconnect the "bad" drive. Does the Disk 4 "Unknown" go away? If it does, then Disk 4 is your "bad" drive.
If not, then you have more HDD issues.

I really need to see your Device Manager. I hate saying this, but I suspect Bear is correct. I hope you have nothing vital on the drive. The reason is that it is possible you have USB connection issues. The DM will help eliminate that as a cause for lack of connectivity.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It's probably the usb circuit board in the usb harddrive enclosure that has karked it.

If I remember rightly, we have been down this path with you before either here or at pchf.

Change the harddrive 4 out of it's enclosure and put it in a brand new enclosure or hub whichever is financially viable to you.

Going back to the clunk noise is it a loud click noise, or are you on about Microsoft's "Windows Hardware Connect" sound?

Gallorg

iHF Regular
Hi Arctos,
Good memory!
Yes i did have a HD problem a while back but this seems different than that.
The noise im hearing is the Windows Hardware Connect sound, it is not a click noise

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If ipv6 is disabled, it is not a problem for you and certainly not causing your hard drive issue.

Also have you tried this external hard drive on another PC, bit of deja vu here??

Gallorg

iHF Regular
i dont have another Pc to check hard drive.
Whats the fixes for the for the Taredo & IPV6 issues???

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Gallorg,

I highly recommend purchasing an IDE /SATA to USB adapter. Owning that will allow you to remove the external drive from its casing and plug directly into the computer. It's often the casing that has gone south.

LC wrote a guide about the indications of a failing drive; perhaps you would want to give it a read.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Do you have a friend or neighbor you could take the usb cable and drive to and check it there?

How about you get the drive sorted and then we do ipv6. I am pretty sure I remember a helper turning off ipv6 on your machine some time back, whilst checking out a internet issue. IPV6 is NOT causing any problems with your USB drive, or the rest of you pc. We also don't know for sure or certain if it is IPV6 that's turned off that is actually causing the device manager to show the warning, although its a pretty good bet. One thing at a time.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Just a curiosity question - you are hearing the USB connect noise, right? Do other USB devices plugged into the same USB port work? If this is a front port, have you tried the back ports, or vice versa?

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center
Click on Connections: item
Click on Properties button
Place check mark on Internet Protocol Version (TCP/IPv6)
Click OK button