• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

External HD issue

Gallorg

iHF Regular
yep, showing in device manager, im still showing this taredo thing as wekk, is that the culprit, see post 9

Gallorg

iHF Regular
ok heres the logs, one thing i will mention the adapter seems to either slow or stop the pc from what it is doing

Attachments

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
@apemax Forgive me for intruding in this. The only way at this point to get a true reading as to whether the drive is viable is to connect it straight to a SATA port. I suspect a damaged partition table or the sectors that information resides in. The USB interface is getting in the way. Just my thoughts for what they are worth. :)

apemax

Linux user
iHF Regular
@Lord Chance Not a problem mate. :) Very true, It is best if you can connect HDDs directly to the motherboard using SATA however as you know that requires opening up your PC and if USB will work then it makes it easier. If it was just either the partition table or MBR it's self that had gotten corrupted then Linux would have still seen it as a /dev/sdx device. That's why at the moment I'm leaning towards it being something more serious.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
@Lord Chance Not a problem mate. :) Very true, It is best if you can connect HDDs directly to the motherboard using SATA however as you know that requires opening up your PC and if USB will work then it makes it easier. If it was just either the partition table or MBR it's self that had gotten corrupted then Linux would have still seen it as a /dev/sdx device. That's why at the moment I'm leaning towards it being something more serious.
It's a big job opening a PC, there two thumb screws holding each side on. You then have to put the drive in a empty drive bay with four screws, plug it in and restart.

The drive is most probably cactus, and will be a throw in the bin job...

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Aye my friend, I must bow to your superior knowledge of the workings of Linux. :)

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
yep, showing in device manager, im still showing this taredo thing as wekk, is that the culprit, see post 9
Please believe this has NOTHING to do with your failed hard drive not working. Remember you said it did not work on another PC as well.
COMPLETELY SEPARATE ISSUE, which is not a problem anyway.

Gallorg

iHF Regular
Hi Ape, as far as i know the adapter is ok, i've only had it about 4 months, its a IDsonix if that helps