• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Fibre To The Node Is Gettin Closer...

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Just got off the phone with a Optusnet rep, and I have got a booking with NBN for the connection setup on the 15th January 2016.

Not a bad deal, as I do not need the unlimited download quota

200 Gigs Download Quota.
The Plus speed pack giving me 50Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload speed.
Free national and local phone calls.
Free Sagem router / modem.
Free Fetch PVR box.

$80.00 per month and no setup fees. :D

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/plans?bt=FBB&tl=FTEL

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Its a bloody shame the old system is going to be pulled to bits.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4913092674.png

2015-12-14_125049.jpg
I know others that get similar speeds
Unlimited downloads, upload speed sucks a bit, but in the scheme of things is fine.
Unlimited national and local calls
Very cheap calls to 4 or 5 countries of my choice, we call Singapore regularly, 10 mins might cost a couple of dollars.
Free optus TV
Free Cisco modem, I'll supply my router thanks.
2nd phone line, but I pay normal charges for calls on that.
$99.00 pm, and overall pretty damn good when there's a problem.
They can take as long as they want to install NBN here. No hurry.

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
You have never seen the copper line here in Bundy after the 2013 floods, my adsl2+ speed has dropped from around 17Mbps to around 13Mbps and that's when the kids are at school. Six pm and the speed drops further.

Hopefully we will get somewhere close to the max speed touted.

The funny thing about the speeds at present is that I can stream movies from Fetch TV, and the ABC and SBS tve stations without any buffering problems.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Never had the free optus TV connected as we have 2 foxtel installations, and Optus would just duplicate a few of the channels we have. I might stand corrected but last time I checked optus only had a limited number of channels compared to foxtel.

If you had an inferior internet connection than I guess 50Mb/s would be wonderful, might give the 200gb a shake?

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If you had an inferior internet connection than I guess 50Mb/s would be wonderful, might give the 200gb a shake?
When I was downloading a lot of Linux Distros I used up a fair chunk of the 120 gigs I have at present. :caution:

The last year I have not download hardly any thing except the movie streams as I said before. I have only used 20% of this months quota that finishes on the 25th of the month.

If it had been fibre to the home I might have got a faster service, but that's not going to happen so this will do us.

The need for speed is no longer a priority, except if we get capped it drops to some dialup / isdn type speed...:D

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Finally I have got the NBN, five days earlier than expected.

A Telstra "tech" came on Wednesday and said he was going to connect me to the node / cabinet down the next stree. I said to him your a fair bit early as I do not get the Sagemcom modem/router from Optusnet till Friday.

Any way he connected me up and came back, he then showed me what the line was capable of 92Mbits down and nearly 40 up. My Netcomm would connect wrong plurry type although it used a telephone cable adsl style.

Sagemcom was delivered Friday, plugged it all in as per the manual and got nothing. Nothing showed but FAIL in the diagnostic section, Optus NBN support on a mobile phone is not very funny.

Anyway to cut a long story short I am up and running this morning, but I do not have the phone as that's not working yet.

Here's what speed I'm getting on the 50Mbits speed pack, I am about 400 metres from the node / cabinet, a lot faster than the one I posted earlier in the thread...

Edit:Typos...

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Joy oh Joy, the NBN / Optus mob have finally fixed my phone line.

It took only took them 28 days to sort it out, after a lot of getting through to a CSR that could help.

I still have been getting billed for my old phoneline and adsl, I got a job sheet in onn those on friday when I got through to someone with a bit of sence.

Yesterday I bought a Gigabit hybrid phone that does voip and pstn calls, sorted it out with a couple of local numbers (DIDS) for friends and family, and topped my credit up at MyNetFone.,.

Should have had more patience.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Three months to the day since I have been connected to the NBN, and Optus have finally got my invoice straitened out.

YES Optus have finally woken up to what the charge is for my service. I told the dikwit on the phone to look on the website where the prices are for each plan it would make his life easier.

Mind you they still have not fixed the phone properly nobody can phone in to us although they did fix it. I just cannot be bothered as all our family and friends have our voip and mobile numbers.

It keeps the plurry telemarketers away though...

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I finally got a invoice for the correct weight for my account the other day.

I have a faster service for a lesser price than I paid for ADSL2+ and phone service ($35.00 line rental) with a quota of 170 gigs (I was connecting at 13.5 Mbits) which was around $100.00 per month in total. I now pay $80.00. for a connection speed of 50 Mbits down and 20 Mbits up with the NBN. Fair enough I have bitched here that nobody can phone in on the free phone service but that can be fixed with a phone call or two.

I have no need for a unlimited quota or a faster speed up to 100Mbits, most of the people bitching about peak hour congestion are those that download shiploads of crappy tv shows or movies such as the Dallas Buyers Club with bit torrent apps.

I have found my speeds to be reasonably consistent during the day and evening, and have never worried to much when streaming movies from Fetch TV.

I would have liked Fibre To The Home, but all the time there are wakkas voting for the NLP were not going to get any thing better than FTTN in the regional areas.

A pox on Malcolm Turnball may your groin itch uncontrollably... :caution:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Someone check in on former senator Stephen Conroy, would they, and make sure he hasn't laughed himself to death?

One of the reasons nbnTM set the Australian Federal Police (AFP) onto the pugilistic parliamentarian was that documents leaked to him suggested Optus' hybrid fibre-coax (HFC) network wasn't fit for purpose.
Quote from the Register.

'A lemon': NBN backflips, abandons plan to use Optus cables it purchased for $800 million
More here from the SMH.

Well it's now official that Optus HFC cable is heap of carp. No more cable network for you, FTTN is what you are going to get so enjoy... :D

Pancake

To Protect and Serve
iHF Master Craftsman
Security Advisor
Quote from the Register.

More here from the SMH.

Well it's now official that Optus HFC cable is heap of carp. No more cable network for you, FTTN is what you are going to get so enjoy... :D

I think this whole NBN this is a total disaster. They should have gone with one plan from the start instead of all this messing around.