• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Flashing A Router

Presiding Cat

Hi all...

I just became aware of this, and am thinking I would like to flash my Router... So the reason for this thread is to find out from you all, if any of you have experience with this... And I am hoping to get your thoughts about flashing a router.?

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I flashed a NetComm NB9 once, it was to fix a problem with VOIP as it fixed the echo problem.

I have not flashed the two other NetComms I own as I never had a problem with them.

The pos Sagem 3864 I am forced to use now I have FTTN, is locked down tight by my ISP. I cannot see anyware in the control panel where I can even look at updating it.

It really goes back if there is nothing wrong with the router it does not need fixing. Beware of bricking it if you do have go...:caution:

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I have only ever done firmware updates. I did have interest in flashing to Tomato or dd-wrt, but they didn't have a version compatible with my Linksys at that time. Of course, Linksys isn't providing firmware updates for the durn thing any longer either! :(

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi all...

I just became aware of this, and am thinking I would like to flash my Router... So the reason for this thread is to find out from you all, if any of you have experience with this... And I am hoping to get your thoughts about flashing a router.?
If your router doesn't have the features you want or you are just wanting to update the router firmware then learning how to flash your router can give you insights into the workings of your router. A learning experience if you will. Flashing a firmware update is straight forward on many routers but if you plan to flash a custom or third party firmware you need to be careful. If you plan to flash a third party firmware like DD-WRT then study the process carefully so that you avoid rendering your router inoperable. If it is just a firmware update then study the manufacturer's instructions carefully.

@Crush - I studied those proposed rule changes when they were first drawn. The rules are meant to keep people from increasing the RF output and modifying the frequency range. TP-Link has never been customer friendly so it is no surprise that they would use this to lock down their devices. I have three or four TP-Link unmanaged 8-port switches but refuse to purchase anything smarter. I use Buffalo Tech routers or Linksys. Will all of the router manufacturers follow TP-Link's lead? In a word, No. By the way. In your posted article, the author mentions the threat of copywrite infringement. DD-WRT was based on the Linksys firmware. That copywrite issue was settled a long time ago. Besides, Most router firmware is derived from open source code If the truth be known. Just like the Linksys firmware used to develop DD-WRT. :)

Presiding Cat

Originally my intent was for a learning experience... And to do that I changed routers to a used one that I had gotten my hands on... And it kept disconnecting from the Web... A lot... Which means that it is a good candidate for a flash... I just now switched back to my good router... And all is good... Some time at a later date I plan on flashing the one that I just switched out... Thanks to you all...

Your help is appreciated :D

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Please let us know how it goes when you do flash the old router. I wish I had one that I could try it with. Kind of sounds like fun!

Presiding Cat

Please let us know how it goes when you do flash the old router. I wish I had one that I could try it with. Kind of sounds like fun!
I will be glad to let you know how it goes...