• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Free anti ransomeware

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Well... I installed the free Ransomware protection and here is what you need to know.
  1. This is a Cloud based service.
  2. You must sign up to use the software
  3. You are only given 5Gb of free cloud storage.
  4. If you require more storage you must purchase the additional storage.
  5. Prices for additional storage is $9.99 USD for 250Gb, $19.99 USD for 500Gb and $39.99 USD for 1Tb. These prices are per year.
Now for my thoughts. If you don't mind the Cloud based approach then the service has potential. It could save you from losing important files. As to the downside, if you have a data cap as I do then the service will eat into your data allotment very quickly because the service backs up your files every 15 minutes. I'm assuming that this only applies to changed and newly created files. One final thing, there is no control over the software that I could find. It appears to be install and forget. Forgive me but I distrust things like that.

Is Acronis Ransomware Protection worth the price? Yes if it works for you but if you need to protect more than a few files then the service will be insufficient. Would it work with the additional storage options? I suppose but as I mentioned earlier, if you have a data cap then it will cost you there as well.:)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Well... I installed the free Ransomware protection and here is what you need to know.
  1. This is a Cloud based service.
  2. You must sign up to use the software
  3. You are only given 5Gb of free cloud storage.
  4. If you require more storage you must purchase the additional storage.
  5. Prices for additional storage is $9.99 USD for 250Gb, $19.99 USD for 500Gb and $39.99 USD for 1Tb. These prices are per year.
Now for my thoughts. If you don't mind the Cloud based approach then the service has potential. It could save you from losing important files. As to the downside, if you have a data cap as I do then the service will eat into your data allotment very quickly because the service backs up your files every 15 minutes. I'm assuming that this only applies to changed and newly created files. One final thing, there is no control over the software that I could find. It appears to be install and forget. Forgive me but I distrust things like that.

Is Acronis Ransomware Protection worth the price? Yes if it works for you but if you need to protect more than a few files then the service will be insufficient. Would it work with the additional storage options? I suppose but as I mentioned earlier, if you have a data cap then it will cost you there as well.:)
Hmmmm! I was going to install this, but looking at all of what you bulleted I don't think I will bother.

I already have my personal data backed up in Google Drive, plus on a couple of hard drives.

As far as I can recall my malware apps and av programmes have ransom ware protection, they are 360 total Security and Super AntiSpyware Pro.

I likeeeee.