• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Google Chrome - Change Default Search?

AndroidOS

The sarcastic one
I use Google Chrome as my web browser and the one thing that bugs me is that it uses google.com as the default search engine. This is annoying because I get all of the American sites instead of the UK ones (like amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk).

I've tried these instructions: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/WA14GPyOzM8 which works, but then autocomplete/suggest doesn't work. Does anyone know if it is possible to use google.co.uk and have autocomplete?

Thanks in advance! :)

Malnutrition

Still Hungry
iHF Master Craftsman
I use Google Chrome as my web browser and the one thing that bugs me is that it uses google.com as the default search engine. This is annoying because I get all of the American sites instead of the UK ones (like amazon.com instead of amazon.co.uk).

I've tried these instructions: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/WA14GPyOzM8 which works, but then autocomplete/suggest doesn't work. Does anyone know if it is possible to use google.co.uk and have autocomplete?

Thanks in advance! :)

Are you using an VPN with a server based in America? That would cause the issue. By default you should be on Google.uk since you indeed live in the UK. Have you tried incognito mode? If that solves the issue, then there is an add on that is causing your issue, perhaps.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I had the Google.com as default when I first installed Chrome. I changed it to Google.com.au as in the post above, when you click the new tab button the default search engine it changed the search engine to the Australian version Mal.

In the setting where you can add or delete search engines the default is Google.com.

I think it is a Google thing why it does that, as I have always had to change it even with the Google Tool Bar in XP. I have noticed if you type it in the "Omnibox" it will give you your countries search version (well it did before I dicked around with it).

Hope this does not confuse the issue... :caution:

Edit: To many Defaults in one line... :D

Last edited: