• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Great Free Android Apps

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

I have just installed ES File Explorer File Manager on my Samsung Tab 2 Android tablet.

With this I can access a usb Hitachi 1TB harddrive that is plugged into the back of my Netcomm NB16VW router / modem.

Streams movies and audio OK also...
The media player that is buit into the app is not the best as it does not play .xvid encoded files ina avi container.

So I have just reinstalled VLC media player and it appears as a plugin when ES File Explorer asks what to play the audio / video file with...

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Here's some more goodness for the Android.

If you use your tablet etc for email, here's my favourite anti spam app MailWasher Mobile Anti Spam.

It needs a free account to be setup to start off with a user name and password.

Not hard to setup either just put your isp's user name and password in. Can also be setup for imap as well.

It's easy to sync with Mailwasher Pro on my desktop computer for the black and white lists, it explains in the help file how to set this up.

Edit: Extra info...

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
WolframAlpha Calculator App

This is not a freebie, but is worth the $3.00 (less than the price of a pot of Gold) according to my partner.

It will do everything but test your blood glucose, although there is a bit on medical stuff.

This will take the strain off of my 30 year old Canon scientific calculator...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wolfram.android.alpha

http://www.wolframalpha.com/examples/

It is also available for the non android tablets/phones.

http://products.wolframalpha.com/mobile/

Edit: I have just downloaded this, type a query and it will give an answer with charts, graphs etc...

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Emergency +’ is a national app developed by Australia's emergency services and their Government and industry partners, helping people to call the right number at the right time, anywhere in Australia. The app uses a mobile phone's GPS functionality so callers can provide emergency call-takers with their location information as determined by their smart phone. ‘Emergency+’ also includes SES and Police Assistance Line numbers as options, so non-emergency calls are made to the most appropriate number.
I have just put Emergency + on the phones, handy to have if you need the emergency services. The GPS feature seems to be accurate enough as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threesixtyentertainment.nesn

This is for AUSTRALIAN emergency services only, before anyone biatches that it does not work where they reside <<< Insert Foreign Country Here>>>.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Two of my most used apps on the Android are:

1. the mobile installation of TeamViewer. You would be surprised how often I need to access the home computer when I'm out and about
2. Walk Me Up alarm clock. It will continue to alert until you are up and walking about. No shaking to cheat or you will be penalized!

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
K-9 Mail is an open-source e-mail client with search, IMAP push email, multi-folder sync, flagging, filing, signatures, bcc-self, PGP, mail on SD & more!

K-9 supports IMAP, POP3 and Exchange 2003/2007 (with WebDAV).

My Avast AV is fighting with Thunderbird over a security certificate on Winders 7, so I have installed K9 Mail on the tablet to by pass that problem.

Easy to set up as well...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
The kiddos and I will be road tripping again in about a month. Driving to Washington, DC. Figured this Rest Area locator might be just the ticket for our trip :)

US Highways only

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The kiddos and I will be road tripping again in about a month. Driving to Washington, DC. Figured this Rest Area locator might be just the ticket for our trip :)

US Highways only
Ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

Have a great road trip, don't forget to throw a couple of toilet rolls in the back just in case... :caution:

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member

US Highways only
I hope they have all that I 95 construction done by...was there several years ago...lot's of camera's,all in all it's a nice place..Did use a porta john in front of the Washington monument...:D