• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Great Free Android Apps

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I just cant leave the apps alone.

Get instant access to detailed maps of all countries from anywhere in the world! No internet connection is required.

ROUTING IS OUT

Get driving directions from your current location to any spot on a single map.

➣ Over 20M downloads worldwide.
➣ TOP 1 mobile travel app in more than 100 countries.
➣ Featured in Forbes, TechCrunch and Washington Post.

Optimised for your phone and tablet (even without 3G).
Maps.ME is offline mapping solution when you do not have a data plan with your telco (me), or your out of range to your own wifi (me). It might have adds in it ,but the maps are open sauce so it might not be bloated with adds for a freebie.

No more "Are we there yet" questions from your kids / grandkids/ dog, "here, have a look yourself".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro&hl=en

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It turns automatically the screen off when you put your phone into your pocket or onto a table. And turns the screen on when you take it out or up. No need to touch any button and you are ready to go. It's especially helpful if your lock key is hard to reach or the power button is broken.
Found this neat little app that replaces the power switch called Gravity Screen - On/Off.

It's easy to set up and customise too.

Since I put the Moto E into a protective case / cover, I could not push the power switch as it was / is to far back for my fingers.

It has in app purchases I think...

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Poking around in the Windows version of Google Calendars, I found in the Settings that Calendar has a section called Labs (just like gmail).

Couple of useful bits to enable into Calendar:

Hide morning and night
Year view

Year view messes up the look of Calendar a bit in Windows, but is handy if you want to plan ahead then disable it.

Edit: It works in Windows but not in Android as far as I can see.

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Gone up in price already, you have to be quick. It's still 20 cents here. :D

ES was good with the NetComm modem / router streaming FLAC files from a 1tb harddrive plugged into the usb port on the back of it to the Samsung.

Pretty much useless now with the pos that Optus supplies, most of the good stuff is locked down. I did find a hack to use it but it was really laggy.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It still shows as $2.99 here

View attachment 4714

I have reached a new level of laziness. I can use Unified Remote Full to control my computer from anywhere
That's not what I trying to achieve with ES, with the harddrive plugged into the NetComm and streamed through the Samsung I could sit outside in the backyard with a beer. My headphones would pick up the music via bluetooth and I would not annoy the neighbours.

POS Sagem F@st 3864 VDSL Router from Optus...:caution:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I just got a Australian fish guide by the name of iDfish as I like to do a bit of fishing when I can. It is expensive for a app at $14.00 but it seemed to have a lot of value in the content.

When it installed you were taken to the T&C page where you have to agree to the usual bullsh!t. It then installed the data bases of the fish.

It then takes you back to the T&C page again and agree, it then pops up with a #$@^*@! Face Book login. You have to login or open an account with Face Book as you cannot go any further till you do..

I hit the home button and out of there, then I hit the refund button in my Playstore account and got my money back.

%$##@%&**: :caution:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have about $12 worth of Google Play credit because I take surveys with their app. It usually nets about $0.50 each time but it adds up.

Google Opinion Rewards
There's a $1.00 coin stuck in the bitumen just up the road, it's been there for 4 or 5 years no one will stoop down to get it. :D

Edit: I downloaded it, it will not let me answer question 8, all greyed out. It has joined the fishing guide in the bin...

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have about $12 worth of Google Play credit because I take surveys with their app. It usually nets about $0.50 each time but it adds up.

Google Opinion Rewards
How many times can I get away with telling Google their apps suck before they Ban me? I doubt they would appreciate or pay for negative opinions. :rolleyes:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
<snipped>

Edit: I downloaded it, it will not let me answer question 8, all greyed out. It has joined the fishing guide in the bin...
I think I know why I could not answer anymore questions. In Q7 regarding how much do you earn, I ticked the box where it said "I would rather not say" or similar.

So they would not be able to target me with specific surveys, so no soup for you Don. :arghh:

How many times can I get away with telling Google their apps suck before they Ban me? I doubt they would appreciate or pay for negative opinions. :rolleyes:
I think they would just stop sending surveys LC, but I could be wrong... :caution:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
On certain occasions I have to use a taxi, Yellow Cabs have now got a app for the Bundaberg region.

It is easy to set up once you cotton on how to do it. it's free and all they want is a lick on Facebook.

The link is for all of the Queensland ones that are available.

http://www.yellowcab.com.au/customer-services/smartphone/

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have just got a camera app to replace the stock camera on the Oppo phone, it is called Open Camera and is open source so no adverts.

The stock camera app was a great camera app, but I could not see a way to save photo's vids etc to the external sd card.

Lots of filters to tweak your selfies, included on called auto stability which keeps the pix horizontal in stead of going downhill.

Watch out for a selfie of my navel fluff... :caution:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have changed over to Nova launcher on my mobile phone, as the previous one AWD which I was using was borked after a upgrade.

Nova launcher has a great deal of features to many to list here, reasonably easy to set up as well'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

I got a great theme to go with it called Sphere, which has those round icons I like.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apex.nova.golauncher.theme.sphere

It is a bit pricey for a app to upgrade to Nova Prime with a ship load of extra features is $6.00. I will wait to see if it goes on one of those 20 cent special that Play Store has hopefully... :D

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I noticed after I posted the screenshot of the Nova desktop that the Google bar was showing here, but not on the Oppo.

I dived in to the Nova settings and found where the search bar colours were and changed it to the one above. I wondered why I could not shift the weather widget up to the top.

Good old iHhelp Forum pulled me out of the carp today... :D