• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Conversation Hobbies. Got one?

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
As a boy I was a model builder and as I grew up my taste in hobbies became more intellectual I suppose you could say. I got into electronics, photography, amateur radio just to name a few. The one thing that caught my attention about most of the hobbies I participated in was experimentation. Building things and trying to put my ideas to a real life test. Recently a friend has introduced me Radio Controlled Model Planes. Not just flying RC planes but building them and modifying them. Old LC does not see well enough to fly these planes but he has enjoyed learning and having some of his ideas take flight. It seems to me that this is what helps our technologies progress. Hobbies and the people who enjoy them. :)

I may have posted this link somewhere else. Flite Test has lots of information about RC planes, building them and flying them. I enjoy the videos. http://flitetest.com/

What are your hobbies? Got one? ;)

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
As a kid i use to watch the maintenance guys work on our house's,one of my favorites were the carpenters ..so this one guy notice me and gave me a heads up on what they were doing. So from then on i was hooked on wood working,over the years i have fixed,made my on furniture as a matter of fact i am still using my desk/bookshelve i made/repurposed several years ago. Also in the mix i can build porches and rooms in which got me into another thing electrical wiring..only been shocked a couple of times...:whistle:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I've been an avid fan of woodworking and remodeling shows for many years. I have wanted to try my hand at wood turning but never took the time or money to buy a lathe. There is a certain fascination watching someone take a piece of wood and turn it into something beautiful. I have much respect for people who can do this. :)

I had an early start in the electrical field Veeg. I learned very early that a screw driver in a 220volt outlet makes lots of pretty sparks. :D

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I mentioned RC flying and some of the innovations that these hobbyists have brought to their passion in an earlier post so now I feel obliged to give mention to the free flight hobbyist. I have built gliders and rubber band powered planes as a kid but never to this level. One thing I need to say. A hobby should be a family event. If you have a hobby share it with your family and in turn involve your self in the hobbies of the ones you love. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Yeah a lathe is a sweet piece of machinery ...just got to make you don't have any loose clothing hanging off of you...
Too right Veeg. Always read and follow the safety rules that come with your power tools. Oh my. I sound just like Norm Abram on the New Yankee Workshop so remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, Safety glasses. :D

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I was into model aircraft when I lived in the UK, mainly control line planes, and free flight gliders.

I have always preferred fishing to anything else as a hobby. I still like to go when I have the chance,

I enjoy playing lawn bowls as this helps to keep brain active as well...

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I was into model aircraft when I lived in the UK, mainly control line planes, and free flight gliders.

I have always preferred fishing to anything else as a hobby. I still like to go when I have the chance,

I enjoy playing lawn bowls as this helps to keep brain active as well...
I worked all summer to afford a simple control line plane Arctos and enjoyed ever minute of my time. The radio controlled models were for the rich kids. It is sad that a simple radio unit without a receiver and servos cost a lot of money. Then when you add receiver and servos the price jumped and of course you had to buy them from the company that made your radio unit back then. Now a good 6 channel radio and receiver cost around $170 USD.

I have not gone fishing in years and I could spin you a many tall tale why I quit. My brother and I went often and it is needless to say who wound up baiting the hooks and cleaning the fish. :D

I have seen you mention Lawn Bowls and took the time to look it up. Interesting pass time Mate. I believe it would be the same for me as golf. I would only be there for the beer. But having said that I know it is about doing things you enjoy and the companionship. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I've recently purchased 3 cheap RC copters for the kids and me. They are a joy to fly, but unfortunately the batteries don't last long. That plus I'm still better at crash landing than flying ;)

Kayaking is the hobby of my heart. I love to spend time on the water. Just so peaceful to get out there and paddle with nature. My best trips have been in flooded back waters. The deer and geese sure don't expect to see visitors coming up a creek that is normally just a thimble of water.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
That is the drawback of the electric RCs. Short duration use. Still fun to fly. I would prefer to use something with changeable batteries then have several spares and a fast charger. That way you can keep a battery in rotation. I'm told the quad copters are easier to fly.

I need something a little more substantial than a kayak M'Lady. As a young man I enjoyed running the rivers and lakes with a camera in hand. You could get some amazing nature shots in the back water areas. :)

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
LC...i had for the lack of never understanding his position in the fam. tree....uncle in law..

Now he was an ex B-17 pilot...and yes he had the typical injuries those guys got... He like to build stuff so he built himself, a sweet looking work shop and started making very detailed WW II planes..These planes were fully functional with rudder control real canopy glass,pilots everything,except the plane couldn't fly....He made his own scroll saw out of a singer sewing machine.... This man showed me wow i can do it all like him....Anyway i later realized,after he died from those old wounds...he was depicting his life while a pilot in that war....I wish i had got those, most definitely museum pieces and the planes especially the B-17 model he built,wasn't any bigger than that 6 engine plane in your post..

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
They look good LC, but I don’t think I can get away with spending up to Oz $1250.00 for a cat chaser with herself looking over my shoulder. :D
There are cheaper models Mate. The Phantom2 is about half the price and you can still get the Phantom1. If you just want a toy then look at this.
There are lots of options. ;)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
LC...i had for the lack of never understanding his position in the fam. tree....uncle in law..

Now he was an ex B-17 pilot...and yes he had the typical injuries those guys got... He like to build stuff so he built himself, a sweet looking work shop and started making very detailed WW II planes..These planes were fully functional with rudder control real canopy glass,pilots everything,except the plane couldn't fly....He made his own scroll saw out of a singer sewing machine.... This man showed me wow i can do it all like him....Anyway i later realized,after he died from those old wounds...he was depicting his life while a pilot in that war....I wish i had got those, most definitely museum pieces and the planes especially the B-17 model he built,wasn't any bigger than that 6 engine plane in your post..
I've known several B-17 and B-25 pilots in my years Veeg. All were exceptional people. What they went through left scars and the only way to face the day was with a hobby. One fellow I knew rebuilt motorcycles. When he passed away he had over twenty Harley motorcycles in his shop. He even rebuilt a pair of 49 Indian Chiefs. The were a matched pair with consecutive serial numbers. This is why a hobby can be so important. It is something you do for yourself and just as important is sharing that hobby. It is finding someone with similar interests, someone to talk to. I suppose I'm an old softy but I can proudly say I have made some wonderful friends thru my hobbies. :)

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Gardening is another one of my hobbies and the fact i like fresh veggies...been working on my container garden for the past 4 years and i did a sorta re-design...saw a post on FB about a Holkotor....you use old wood as a border the big pieces and limbs and leaves in the bottom then fill in with dirt,with some top soil and then top it off with the muck from the goatie barn at planting time. They swear after the 1st year you do not have to water it during the summer and after 3 years you got a lot of good compost. Also i have been doing a border garden,i dug down about 8" to a foot down and put the dirt to the side and built my border with some old 2x8's put in limbs and leaves in the bottom of that and filled it back in with the dirt and then bought bags of top soil and mixed that in about 3" deep with some organic fertilizer. got 2 of those with some kale and maters in the other one. Coming in handy as we have not had any measurable rain going on 3 weeks now. My big garden is a little weak by now.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
That's brilliant, Veeg! I'll have to look into that. God knows, I've got plenty of trash wood and leaves enough to start a decent compost.

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
That's brilliant, Veeg! I'll have to look into that. God knows, I've got plenty of trash wood and leaves enough to start a decent compost.
LOL'''I spelled it wrong.... http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/ and
LOL me to...i still have leaves i need to get up from the fall and we have a burn pile spot that is an on going thing and 2 running compost bins. Also i made my bed rectangle shape,using old fire wood..