• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Conversation Hobbies. Got one?

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Gardening is another one of my hobbies and the fact i like fresh veggies...been working on my container garden for the past 4 years and i did a sorta re-design...saw a post on FB about a Holkotor....you use old wood as a border the big pieces and limbs and leaves in the bottom then fill in with dirt,with some top soil and then top it off with the muck from the goatie barn at planting time. They swear after the 1st year you do not have to water it during the summer and after 3 years you got a lot of good compost. Also i have been doing a border garden,i dug down about 8" to a foot down and put the dirt to the side and built my border with some old 2x8's put in limbs and leaves in the bottom of that and filled it back in with the dirt and then bought bags of top soil and mixed that in about 3" deep with some organic fertilizer. got 2 of those with some kale and maters in the other one. Coming in handy as we have not had any measurable rain going on 3 weeks now. My big garden is a little weak by now.
Interesting Veeg. Unfortunate for me is that I don't have a green thumb. I couldn't grow crabgrass. :lol: I do have a lot of respect for those that can make things grow. :)

Antman

Because, you know, Obama.
Advisor
My new hobby is knee pain.

Ordered a bike for Josie. Pepin, if you know her. It arrived with a scratch down to the metal. The vendor said, "Keep it. We will send you another." The new one arrived in non-working condition. The vendor said, "Keep it. Here is all of your money back."

I have two new cheap Chinese bikes. And yes, mine has a USB port.

image001.jpg image002.jpg image003.jpg

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
My new hobby is knee pain.

Ordered a bike for Josie. Pepin, if you know her. It arrived with a scratch down to the metal. The vendor said, "Keep it. We will send you another." The new one arrived in non-working condition. The vendor said, "Keep it. Here is all of your money back."

I have two new cheap Chinese bikes. And yes, mine has a USB port.

View attachment 3809 View attachment 3810 View attachment 3811
I had a bike once. I had to have training wheels front and back. Just like my exwife. :rolleyes:

Antman

Advisor
Got the Raleigh. Score!

Took the 2.35 inch balloon tires from the red cruiser. Rides like a Benz. The Nexus 7 hub is awesome. It does not have any go fast - it's all bottom.

The handlebars won't do. Attempts to remove the rubber grips have failed. I do not want to cut them. They are molded and do not have a cut-out on the end.

No mistake - I will cut them if I have to. As it is, I can't mount my speakers and cup holder.

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
LOL'''I spelled it wrong.... http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/ and
LOL me to...i still have leaves i need to get up from the fall and we have a burn pile spot that is an on going thing and 2 running compost bins. Also i made my bed rectangle shape,using old fire wood..

So after 5 weeks and only getting a 1/2 inch of rain...this method is holding up and with the heat to and yes i am still watering it..today is suppose to get up to 98f... So i am going to make another so i can plant more corn...after having nearly no rain my 8 rows of corn i planted is now just 3 stalks...

Rustys

So after 5 weeks and only getting a 1/2 inch of rain...this method is holding up and with the heat to and yes i am still watering it..today is suppose to get up to 98f... So i am going to make another so i can plant more corn...after having nearly no rain my 8 rows of corn i planted is now just 3 stalks...
For some reason the rain keeps getting stalled over Texas.

Antman

Advisor
30 pounds, one and half stone, 13 kilos. 7-speed Nexus with roller brakes.

Tires from one of the free bikes, handlebar from a 1980s Murray cruiser.

REO is playing on the life support system.

image001.jpg image002.jpg

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Ant, your yard is starting to look like a bike repair shop. Looks like you're having fun.

My latest time wasters - not sure if I'm trying to grow things or prove that I can kill them faster than most :)

Flowers.jpg

Rustys

Ant, your yard is starting to look like a bike repair shop. Looks like you're having fun.

My latest time wasters - not sure if I'm trying to grow things or prove that I can kill them faster than most :)

View attachment 3885
Nice Orchid's, Jade, Catus... You going to plant them out side?

Just one question how much water does the bear need?

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I was going to say that the bear needs as much water as the bourbon can tolerate, then I remembered that my daughter's honey bear is in the picture :)

No, with Iowa weather, not a single one will be planted outdoors. We are either too wet, too cold or too hot. Not a single one of these plants would be happy with that mix. Hell, I'm not happy with that variety of weather ;)

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
An update DCi

From Hugelkultur central:

100_1071.JPG 100_1072.JPG 100_1073.JPG 100_1074.JPG 100_1075.JPG 100_1079.JPG

I made that bed and planted the corn on June 22nd,of course i chose a corn that would do what i want (Bantam)...also i stake off the corn in case of wind since the corn would be weak at the roots and it worked. The beans are going great inspite of the bugs eating the leaves,already got 2 gallons + of beans so far.. Now that big field is my big garden and you see...nothing but weeds,i had 10 rows of corn,maters,butternut, etc....just dried up from only having 2 1/2 inches of rain since April 30th..

Last edited: