1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Dismiss Notice

How Much Heat Can Cause the Power Off?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help' started by napy666, Jul 8, 2017.

1. napy666

napy666 http://www.nataliezworld.com/ iHF Regular

Just now around 2PM the power went out due to our home having too many things running. I had my laptop plugged into the charger, table lamp, ceiling fan, and AC on. While the rest of the house had 2 TVs on, 2 ceiling fans on, and 1 more AC on. But only the back of the house had it's power go out. Now my parents are complaining saying I should turn off my laptop because thats the cause of why the power went off. So my question is, are they right? Can your laptop really cause a power outage?

2. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

Are your parents right? They could be but I'm more inclined to believe that your parents need to get an electrician in to check the power feed panel. If your house has fuses or breakers they will become weak over time. When they do they will take less loading and eventually fail. The power supply of your laptop is the equivalent of a 60 or 90 watt light bulb.Depending on the laptop model. If the house circuit was already near its limit and you plugged in your laptop then doing so exceeded the limit causing the fuse or breaker to fail. Again my advice is to have your parents engage an electrician to make sure there is not a problem with the power feed panel.

3. Arctos

Arctos Beware of the Bear... iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

No, not on it's own. With the amount of appliances that are plugged in as you described it would appear that the house has overloaded the system.

California's power supply is always flaky, I knew people that lived in San Diego they were always complaining about the brown outs where they lived.

Your best bet is to go solar powered with a shed load of batteries and a couple of good power inverters. This is what is happening here in Australia, I have not enough roof space where I live as it is a smallish unit. Out at my shed it is solar powered as there is no mains power there I have six panels on the roof.

My mate across the road has 21 solar panels on his roof with battery storage, he even puts some power back into the grid which he gets paid for.

Edit: Fix spellun.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  4. Arctos

Found the pix of the solar panels on my mates roof, taking advantage of the Sunshine State's free sunshine.

[​IMG]

5. Lord Chance

Lord Chance iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter iHF Veteran Advisor WCG Team Member

6. Arctos

Lord Chance likes this.
  7. Lord Chance

That's alright Mate. I have a battery backup. :D

images (1).jpg

Arctos likes this.
  8. Arctos

I will have to put this in then just to be ever ready for mouses.

[​IMG]

Lord Chance likes this.
  9. Arctos

How is the power supply going in California today @napy666 did you get the problem solved?

10. napy666

I will check out our power supply.

11. napy666

When it comes to the summer weather, what is the best way to keep your laptop cool and not get so hot? Out of all of the laptops I have had over the years, they would always get so hot. Even with the cooling fan stands I would get to place them on. :/ Are there any cooling fan stands for laptops that actually work well or are they all the same?

12. Arctos

I live in the tropics here in Australia, I do not use cooling pads / fans on my HP note book as it runs at a reasonable temp of around 38° - 40° Celsius.

My other desktop computers run around 60° C as they are crunching WCG work units 24 / 7 with no ill effect.

13. Lord Chance

There is a misconception of what a laptop cooler pad/stand really is. These devices are promoted as a way to keep a laptop cool when in fact the only keep the laptop User cool. Those devices with fans will help with air circulation but the benefits are small. To conduct the heat away properly you would need to move large amounts of cool air across the heat sink attached to the processor. A device such as in the picture below may work better.

61Gy28LLIIL._SL1001_.jpg

A device of this kind may help increase the airflow but it must be mounted on the exhaust grill of your laptop. The only true way to help keep your laptop from over heating is to keep the intake and exhaust clean and unblocked. Make sure the fan is working properly and never run your laptop for extended periods under a heavy processing load. A heavy processing load is defined as heavy use of the processor and or the graphics processing unit. Laptops, even the newest models, are not meant for constant use no matter what the salesman or manufacturer tell you. Only the high end laptops made for things like gaming, graphics and video processing can compare with a desktop when it comes to cooling.

14. Arctos

Here's a open source CPU temp monitoring tool that is free, it will give you a idea of how hot your lap top is.

Follow the instructions on the website for installation tips.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Lord Chance likes this.
  15. napy666

Well I do have my laptop on from like 8-10AM PST time to around 10-12AM PST.

16. napy666

I would download that program but have no idea as to how it even works. It does not say how hot my laptop is it shows everything else which I don't understand.

17. Arctos

Look at this pix from their website, now look down till you see Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 you can see what temps the two cores are running at. That's all you need to know.

[​IMG]

18. napy666

Oh I see now. Well when my laptop gets really hot I will post it. It has gotten really hot at times.

19. napy666

Temperatures right now it says

CPU Core 1 - 96.0-100 C
    CPU Core 2 - 95-100 C
    CPU Package 95-100 C

20. Arctos

Post a screenshot from that Open Hardware Monitor programme. showing what the pix I posted before.

Those numbers you posted have to be wrong, Intel cpu's would have shut down after if passed 70° C plus.