• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

How to keep lawn mower tires inflated over winter?

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep my riding lawn mower tires inflated over winter? Each spring, I open the garage to typically find 2 out of 4 tires flat. Would elevating the mower removing the weight from the tires make any difference? (I know, typical silly girl question)

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Your question depends on the age of the tires DCiAdmin. New tires are more pliable thus they seal better but even in a cold climate new tires can go flat over time because air pressure in the tire decreases as the temperature drops letting the tire bead pull away from the rim slightly breaking the seal. This causes a slight leak causing the tire to go flat over time. Making sure the tire is properly inflated at the end of the mowing season then storing your mower is such a way that the temperature does not drop below freezing.

Older tires are more problematic. Again storing the mower in a warmer place will help. If the tires are in good condition my suggestion would be to dismount the tires, clean the tire bead and tire rim then use a lube like WD-40 or a thin film of axel grease to coat the tire bead before remounting the tires. Also replace the inflation valve stem before remounting the tire. There are additives to seal leaks in tires but if the leak is around the bead these additives are not as effective. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
As an aside, never use products intended for emergency tire inflation sometimes called Fix-a-Flat. They are not made for long time use and can cause corrosion of the rim. They can also make a more permanent repair impossible.

Two things I left out in my first post.
  • To check for leaks in tires use a soapy solution in a spray bottle to spray around the tire, rim and valve stem. If you see bubbles grow then you have found a leak that needs repair.
  • If all else fails then it is still possible to buy inner tubes to put in the tires. You will find the tire size on the side wall of the tire. Take the size to the tire dealer to get the right size.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
They put tubes in the tires this year for me. :). I believe the tires are 8 years old so probably time for the tubes. Thanks for the explanation, LC.

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
They put tubes in the tires this year for me. :). I believe the tires are 8 years old so probably tume for the tubes. Thanks for the explanation, LC.
M'Lady, If they put tubes in the tires and they still go flat over winter then have someone replace the valve stem cores and put valve stem cap on the valve stems if they are not already there. Valve stems can leak around the core.:)

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
They put tubes in the tires this year for me. :). I believe the tires are 8 years old so probably time for the tubes. Thanks for the explanation, LC.

I have tires older than that...i use slime and fix a flat together,to pump up the tires just before i mow in the first mowing session..

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I will find out next year I suppose about the tubes.