• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

How to Set a Ethernet Connection as Metered on Windows 10

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have my wireless connect set as metered, but I ran across this article at How-To Geek website, on how to set the metered ethernet hack up.

If you want to stop Windows Updates from installing updates completely this is the go.

The reg hack requires admin permissions, and always back up the registry before you edit it.

Here is the reg code for the tree people.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; created by Walter Glenn
; for How-To Geek
; article: http://www.howtogeek.com/262464

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost]
"Ethernet"=dword:00000002

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have unlimited data quota, ethernet and wireless, the reason I posted this thread is so that you can turn Windows update off.

With Win 7 you could do this in control panel, with Win 10 you cannot do that only turn the wireless off. With this reg hack you can turn Windows update off on the ethernet connection.

My Win 7 box has never received a update since I reinstalled it, now if I reinstall Win 10 it will be no updates for me. :D