• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

I just bought.... Home version

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
It's My Birthday!
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Now you gonna have the Home Owner's Association on ya Mate. You didn't get their approval. No matter. Do like I did. Just buy the bloody association and evict them all. :sneaky: I also bought the pool, recreational area and overflow parking for that gated community. Imagine their surprise when I padlocked it all. :lol: I never cared for uppity snobs.

Lord Chance

It's My Birthday!
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
No HOA to tell me what I can and can't do. Just my wallet ;)

Everything is still a bit of a mess, getting the driveway repaved Friday
Be proud of your home my friend. It is a work in progress and can take a lifetime to complete or just a weekend away. You choose. Whatever you do make it feel like home. :)

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Is 14 years really all you can expect from a roof? Yikes, if so. I did mine just 3 years back. I had best start saving. That expense was a shock to my system.

Lord Chance

It's My Birthday!
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Is 14 years really all you can expect from a roof? Yikes, if so. I did mine just 3 years back. I had best start saving. That expense was a shock to my system.
It all depends M'Lady. Here in the south the sun takes it's toll. My need for a new roof is my own fault. I chose the 25 year shingles instead of paying for the good ones. They have held up well but they are starting to curl. You get what you pay for as the old saying goes. I will have a metal roof put on soon. It should have been done first time. :)

As a thought. The shingles on my house would probably last another five to ten yeas without a leak but it would be cost effective for me to do the job now. It will most likely cost me another 3 to 5% per year to wait. I am getting to old to be worrying about a leaky roof. :D It is also the aesthetics of it. The curling shingles just bother me. The clean lines of a metal roof is more to my taste plus I get to enjoy that metal roof for the next 50 years. Or so they tell me.;)

Lord Chance

It's My Birthday!
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I was told 30 at the top end but average is 15
You Northern folk have to deal with snow loads and ice damming as a cause for failure. Still I suppose anything that will lift the shingle so the wind can get under it means quicker failure times. I was told once that if you use a heavy shingle it lays flat longer. I can vouch for that because the shingles I had replaced 14 years ago were nearly 40 years old and twice the weight of the new shingles. The roof never leaked. It just looked bad and frayed around the edges. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The tiles on our roof have been up there for around twenty years, they are either terracotta or cement (not sure of that).

They have been through a couple tropical cyclones, hail storms, rain, blazing sunshine, heat etc. They have had a couple of pressure cleans where they come up like new.

Edit: Cement tiles.

Last edited: