• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

I just bought...

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I've had two LG external DVD R/W drives like that and they served me well. Get a burner app for your Chromebook. The drive should work for that as well.:)
I thought of that, but I just want it to re-install Winders 7 on Amadeus when needed, and backup a few dvd's we pick up from garage sales occasionally.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I thought of that, but I just want it to re-install Winders 7 on Amadeus when needed, and backup a few dvd's we pick up from garage sales occasionally.
Since USB flash drives have gotten cheap I use those for most things. I keep my Windows 7 and 10 reinstall media on them. Any LINUX distros I use on occasion and I save any CDs or DVDs to ISO. I have about 10 or 15 spindles of CDRs and DVD/Rs that I seldom use. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I was sorting out old burnt dvd's yesterday, I was surprised that the top layer was flaking off them.

I burnt hundreds of disks for the feller that owned the computer shop around the corner at the time. I wonder how they are holding up as he had most of his dvd box sets ripped. Same brand name disks as well.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I was sorting out old burnt dvd's yesterday, I was surprised that the top layer was flaking off them.

I burnt hundreds of disks for the feller that owned the computer shop around the corner at the time. I wonder how they are holding up as he had most of his dvd box sets ripped. Same brand name disks as well.
CDs and DVDs do have a shelf life so to speak. Manufacturers will tell you their media will last a hundred years but they don't tell you that only their expensive archival disks last that long. Most disks have about 5 to 10 years before they start deteriorating. If you keep your disks in a climate controlled environment they could last as much as 20 to 25 years. Even USB flash drives have their limits but those limits will probably out last me.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
f you keep your disks in a climate controlled environment they could last as much as 20 to 25 years.
Mine are stored in the ambient temperature at the time, varies between 20° to high 30°s celcius. they are probably anything up to 10 year old I suppose.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
In the middle of an office move. I've inherited 4 Mac Minis :)
My friend in Rocky has a load of those as well, he does not want to part with them as they cost him a **** load of money.

Is my distaste for Apple showing?
Your as bad as me mate, I have that taste in my mouth ever since I walked in a Apple shop, the rectum behind the counter would not serve me as I did not have a suit on. I told him to "Go and %$^#@#$&&^%$& himself." :wtf::meh:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Mine are stored in the ambient temperature at the time, varies between 20° to high 30°s celcius. they are probably anything up to 10 year old I suppose.
I took a closer look Arctos. It looks like just the label flaking off. Is there anything important on them? If so they my still be readable. Carefully remove any of the loose stuff and try to read them. Maybe they will work long enough to copy them. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Your as bad as me mate, I have that taste in my mouth ever since I walked in a Apple shop, the rectum behind the counter would not serve me as I did not have a suit on. I told him to "Go and %$^#@#$&&^%$& himself." :wtf::meh:
I've never been in an Apple Store Arctos. My distaste for Apple came from my dealings with their Corporate dweebs. I was at one point trying to become a certified dealer and repair shop for their products. The smug twit I was in contact with left a rather vile taste in my mouth. :caution: When I finally lost my cool, I told the smug little **** beater that I didn't need the money that bad.:meh:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I wish I had more of a use for them LC but like you I don't like Apple products much. They're the Core i5 models though so I couldn't just pitch them
In all honesty Mate, I don't have a problem with the devices. I just dislike the Apple corporate culture. Personally you could refresh the OS to get rid of any data then see if you couldn't sell them to pay for something you want and use. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Dang LC wish I would have known. I threw away one of these on Friday - https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/prod...ack-UPS-Pro-1500/P-BR1500G?isCurrentSite=true
I have one of those as well. When the batteries die I'll just replace it too. The batteries are about $70 USD plus shipping which is fine but where I live the power is dirty and it puts a strain on the UPS. The electronics that damps the serge and smooths power often fail about the same time the battery does.

Thank you for thinking of me. :mrgreen:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I reallt should buy a new one as well, my "old one" is now only a surge protecter, the battery no longer kicks in.

Neither of the two you both mentioned are available in Australia for some reason.
Schneider Electric, the company that makes APC has a presence in Australia. It doesn't make sense not selling their UPS there but they don't it seems.:facepalm: