• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Internet Bundles and Speeds?

napy666

http://www.nataliezworld.com/
I currently have ATT as my internet provider and pay about $55 a month. The plan I have says I get this,

Download Speed up to 6 Mbps
1024 GB Data
10 Additional Email Addresses

I am browsing the net and found this company - http://www.centurylink.com/home/bundles/. Their deals are good but are they legit or worth it? Should I stick with ATT service. I've always wanted to have cable and internet together but the bundles are always expensive even with 1 TV and internet together. Let alone 3 TVs and internet the price would be a LOT.

Anyway what do you think? I am in the Los Angeles, CA area 91201. Looking for help on finding some deals.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
CenturyLink in Iowa is reasonably priced and I know of no one with any complaints of their service.
Providers and their customer service differ widely across the nation. You should ask others in your area who they use for Internet and what their experience has been with that company.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I am browsing the net and found this company - http://www.centurylink.com/home/bundles/. Their deals are good but are they legit or worth it? Should I stick with ATT service. I've always wanted to have cable and internet together but the bundles are always expensive even with 1 TV and internet together. Let alone 3 TVs and internet the price would be a LOT.

Anyway what do you think? I am in the Los Angeles, CA area 91201. Looking for help on finding some deals.
Well CenturyLink isn't available for me, only ATT service lol.
Perhaps you could explain why you asked about them? If you've found information after posting your thread that items you have asked about aren't available, you might want to remove your post.

napy666

Uh ok just forget it. I wanted people's opinions on their providers and bundles and how much they pay but no one seemed to understand that.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Natalie, young lady. It is easier to state that you wish an opinion. ISPs are varied around the country and world. I myself have AT&T and like you I do not have much of an option. I am hoping that when our local cable company changes hand the service will improve enough that I can leave AT&T behind. I pay nearly $55 a month for what amounts to maybe 5Mb access. Your local cable provide has Internet service. See if they can provide you better service.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Uh ok just forget it. I wanted people's opinions on their providers and bundles and how much they pay but no one seemed to understand that.
You are correct, I didn't understand that as you had asked specifically about CenturyLink, an ISP apparently not available to you. In Iowa, my local providers are DSL through my local phone company, DSL through a 3rd party vendor, cable broadband from Mediacom, or satellite from various providers. Of those, only satellite is common with your options in LA. I cannot recommend satellite as the latency is horrendous. I am about to trade my DSL service (10 mbps down/.8 up) for cable broadband (100 mbps down / not sure of up) . I hope to find happiness with cable. You might recheck pricing of the cable options in your area. I've found them to be very competitive with my DSL provider for much better speeds.

napy666

Natalie, young lady. It is easier to state that you wish an opinion. ISPs are varied around the country and world. I myself have AT&T and like you I do not have much of an option. I am hoping that when our local cable company changes hand the service will improve enough that I can leave AT&T behind. I pay nearly $55 a month for what amounts to maybe 5Mb access. Your local cable provide has Internet service. See if they can provide you better service.
Well all of you are internet and computer nerds, so you should know what service, speeds, connection, whatever is the BEST and WORST out there, no?

napy666

You are correct, I didn't understand that as you had asked specifically about CenturyLink, an ISP apparently not available to you. In Iowa, my local providers are DSL through my local phone company, DSL through a 3rd party vendor, cable broadband from Mediacom, or satellite from various providers. Of those, only satellite is common with your options in LA. I cannot recommend satellite as the latency is horrendous. I am about to trade my DSL service (10 mbps down/.8 up) for cable broadband (100 mbps down / not sure of up) . I hope to find happiness with cable. You might recheck pricing of the cable options in your area. I've found them to be very competitive with my DSL provider for much better speeds.
Alrighty then, I will see what is out there, but know they will be pricey which sucks.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Well all of you are internet and computer nerds, so you should know what service, speeds, connection, whatever is the BEST and WORST out there, no?
Actually, No. We are all limited to what providers are in our area so we only have experience with those providers. We can only tell what we think we would like. In that case I would like to have Gigbit fiber optics with gigabit uploads and downloads for free but how realistic is that. You work with what you have until better comes along.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
For those of you out there looking in, Napy666 has brought up a topic that has been talked to death on a lot of forums. In truth there has never been a consensus as to what is actual and what is hype so let me bring my thoughts to the table. Agree or Disagree this is what I think.

The question of what is the best ISP, the Fastest ISP, et al.... This depends on where you are in this great big beautiful world. You may have the same company serving you as many others but your locale matters. You will find that speeds and service get better near and in areas of high populations and newer built up areas. The reason is that the high population areas have more competition for services and the newer built up areas get the newest equipment. Few companies want to upgrade infrastructure until the old is no longer serviceable or is so saturated that to gain more customers they have to add on. Is there better out there? Yes, but not everyone will have an ISP who offers Fiber Optics service to your door. Some of the smaller ISPs offer very good service but it is limited to a small area. I like small ISPs because there is better than even chance that they care enough about their customers to attend to Customer Service. Something that you don't get with many of the big ISPs. When you have to talk to someone in Pakistan to solve your tech problems then it easier to solve it yourself. These ISPs know who they are so I will leave it at that.

While Napy666's question was an honest one I have to say that there is no satisfactory answer to it. First because I have no idea what is available in Napy666's area and even if I did I have had no experience with the area. Napy666 did mention AT&T as being the ISP used and I use the same but if you read the fine print it will tell you that some services may not be available in your area. This limits what I know of Napy666's services. I can offer opinions and advice but what are they worth without the knowledge and experience to make them useful. There are too many out there willing to offer up these opinions and advice without that knowledge. I will 'NOT'. :)

"Disclaimer: The following rants and raves are of LC (SSOF) and his alone. Said rants and raves do not reflect the rants and raves of iHelpForum.com, Staff or Members. All Rights Reserved."

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I certainly wish there were an option to "Love" your comment. Spot on, LC.