• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Laptop Appears to be Infected

Edd

iHF Regular
Thinkpad P50 Windows 10 Pro. OS has been updated to the latest MS Update.

Machine is a few days old and was I installing programs. Shortly after installing Chrome I went to a few websites when I noticed that clicking a legitimate link would often (but not always) send me to a different and suspicious site (e.g., suggesting I had a virus or need a Flash update.) I ran Malwarebytes and removed the PUPs that it found in Chrome. I also uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled a fresh copy from the Google website. Initially, I used a site called Ninite dot com to get fresh program copies. On that site, I could choose several programs which would be gathered into one executable so all of the programs could all be installed from that one executable in a couple of clicks. The initial copy of Chrome was one of the programs that was installed this way.

An additional problem is that I can't set the Default Programs in Control Panel. When I try to set them to programs different than the default, they don't change.

Per your prework instructions, I ran FRST and attached the FRST.txt file and Addition.txt file. I also attached the Malwarebytes log so you could see what it found (txt file).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

Edd

iHF Regular
I think I solved the problem... at least partially. The problem with Chrome spawning malware pages apparently had to do with a Chrome extension that I installed. I reset all of the settings in Chrome to their defaults and I was then able to access the Extension page as the reset disabled the extensions I had installed. I enabled them one by one until I found the bad one and deleted it. Chrome is behaving normally now.

The inability to set default programs is not completely solved but I doubt that it is a virus or malware. I did manage to change the default for one function but the interface doesn't work well. Not sure if it is an fixable problem or just a Win 10 annoyance.

At any rate, there is no need for you to review the logs as I don't think there is any malware present now.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Lol, Edd. Well done to you for resolving. Glad you are alert to possible issues on your system. We will see you again soon.

Malnutrition

Still Hungry
iHF Master Craftsman
@Edd Can you post fresh FRST & Addition.txt logs, and tell me what issues remain. :)

FRST Fix.

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop. NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST/FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work. NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system Run FRST/FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run. When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please post it to your reply.

Attachments