• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solved Linux A Pentium 4

Presiding Cat

I am going to attempt to get a Linux operating system on one of my computers... And learn how to use it... This will be my third attempt... The last time it cost me a computer...
I have recently obtained a couple of Pentium 4 computers and wish to use them for my experiment.
My question is what operating do you think would be smart to use to surf the net, email, listen to music, and some photo shop?

I will likely need more help to get things up to par as well...

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I recently tried Puppy again, fwiw its only 162MB, will certainly fly on a P4. What impressed me with it was it has samba built in, and it worked out of the box across my large network. By default it mounts any drives, internal, external, usb etc and any others plugged in whilst the distro is running. Will surf the net easily. Now has a less ugly interface too. Puppy has grown up. Music is no problem, photoshop may be an issue though. Linux works good with Gimp and probably some others

If you want more perhaps look at Zorin, also great for low powered machines

If linux cost you a computer, windoze would have done the same.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I have LinuxMint Cinnamon on one of my PCs and it does for me what you said you are looking for.

32bit - http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=189
64bit - http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=190

One feature with LinuxMint is that when you first install the O/S, you have the option of trying the O/S first then you can install it if you like it.

Good Luck
Cinnamon mint is very nice, but like a lot of distros has grown. Depending on the specs of an old p4 it could struggle. Nearly all linux distros will run live before you install.

If mint will run ok, it will certainly do all you want except photoshop, but then depending on what version of photoshop you have it may or may not work with wine.

I know I work less with wine.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
That's why I said it may or may not work with wine, I'm guessing the newer the version of photoshop the heavier its going to be on resources. I've never used photoshop either, but I wouldn't just accept that any version of photoshop, if any, will work with wine. If photoshop is important to him its yet to be seen if he will use linux?

Here's a link that indicates old version of photoshop work, some better than others?
Photoshop and Wine

If he is new to linux maybe he should get the feel of it first, before being turned off it by using non linux software that may or may not be straight forward to use?

Gimpshop is apparently aimed at those used to photoshop, never used it but here's a bit about it.
GIMPshop

Last edited:

Presiding Cat

Thanks for all of the replies... 2 of them are Dells And one is a Compac...

Photo shop is not important to me... I could not remember the name GIMP

I have two other computers that have windows 7 on them and photo shop works fine on them
The Pentium 4s are just for me to experiment with Linux... I really want to learn how to use it...

I am tired of Microsoft wanting me to go to Windows 10... They tell me it will work on my machine and later they want me to check for hardware compatibility...
And I don't want to go there... Windows 7 does every thing I want to do just fine...

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Let us know which Linux O/S you want to try, then someone can help you with it.
Since Linux is free, there is no harm in trying different versions.
I tried a few before I settled on Linux Mint Cinnamon, but don't let me persuade. :devil: ;)

Presiding Cat

I

If linux cost you a computer, windoze would have done the same.
I lost the computer attempting to put linux on a stick... on a windows operating system... The person (on the net) whose instructions I was following... did not provide accurate information,,,

Presiding Cat

My intent was to try different versions... I think I will start with Puppy... And once I become comfortable with Linux... I will try Linux Mint Cinnamon on a Lenovo Think Center that is currently running Vista...

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If you intent to install via a Thumb drive, be sure to select the drive during bootup.
Depending on your PC it could be by pressing F11 or F12 depending on your BIOS.

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I lost the computer attempting to put linux on a stick... on a windows operating system... The person (on the net) whose instructions I was following... did not provide accurate information,,,
Do you still have the PC?

Presiding Cat

I would like to install via a CD or DVD.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Re losing a computer to linux.

PC, is that the computer you were trying to update the bios on, in an attempt to boot from a cd?

Presiding Cat

PC, is that the computer you were trying to update the bios on, in an attempt to boot from a cd?
No... That computer bit the dust before I knew you guys...

The computer that I was trying to update the bios on, in an attempt to boot from a cd is the one that I am writing this message on... It is running windows seven...

Last edited: