• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solved Linux A Pentium 4

Presiding Cat

I dont know if you have to make it as complex as all that. Looking at the brother site you linked it shows 2 packages, one of which you apparently need if you wish to use the full features of your AIO.
Linux (rpm)
Linux (deb)
and looking at the Mint site HERE it indicates both are available and can be installed for Mint. Can't help you with any advantage of one over the other if any.
Thanks for responding CD... Being that I need (to use) the full features of my (AIO) printer, scanner, and copier... I need to understand what each package provides in order to install the correct one... This is Linux and my printer did not come with an installation disk (for Linux) as it did for windows... So I am in uncharted territory...

So apparently (according to you) there is no advantage of one over the other... As it appears that I need to be able to determine which one... I need to install that will provide the necessary stuff that will run the full features of my (AIO) printer, scanner, and copier...

Last edited:

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Yes you will have to put the word out for help with it.

You will need to install the newest printer driver and also the latest scanner driver. There is no driver for, and it would be useless for a copier. You still have to access the aio to load the item to be copied so cant see why you would then return to the pc to initiate the copy when it would be easier to directly at the device.

Presiding Cat

Brother printers: how to install them in Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Back to the homepage

A Brother printer is nowadays easily installable in Ubuntu or Linux Mint. You can apply this how-to:

1. Turn on your printer.

2. Sometimes it's necessary to add a printer or scanner to the system yourself, by means of the application Printers. In that case the application Printers already contains the driver for your printer, but you have to "indicate" the printer first.

So launch the application Printers. You can use the search box in your menu to find it; it's present by default in all editions of Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

In Printers, click the button Add (with the + sign) and follow the steps it offers you.

If this fails, for example because your printer is too new for the database in your version of Linux Mint or Ubuntu, then proceed with step 3:

3. Installing the driver manually isn't very difficult either, because Brother has issued a generic install script for that: the Driver Install Tool.

With that, you can install not only the printer driver, but also (for a multifunctional printer) the scanner driver.

You can use it as follows:

a. Go to the download section of the Brother website and look up your printer model.

For "OS Family" you choose Linux.
For "OS Version" you select Linux (deb).
Click the Search button.

Then click the Driver Install Tool and download linux-brprinter-installer.

Save the downloaded file in the folder Downloads. Don't extract the zipped file, but leave it there just as it is. Note: don't use the installation how-to on the Brother website, but use the installation how-to on my website instead (see below)!

b. Launch a terminal window.
(You can launch a terminal window like this: *Click*)

c. Now copy/paste the following command into the terminal, in order to unzip the downloaded file:

cd Downloads && gunzip -v ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter*
Press Enter.

d. Use copy/paste to transfer the following line to the terminal:

sudo bash ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter*

Press Enter. Type your password when prompted; this will remain entirely invisible, not even asterisks will show, which is normal.

e. Follow the steps that the installer script presents you. When asked for the printer model name, type it and press Enter.

An example is best: for a Brother DCP-7065DN you type:
DCP-7065DN

Note: is there at the end of the model name a letter between brackets? Then you probably have to omit that letter (including the brackets).

Example: for the Brother MFC-L9550CDW(T) it becomes:
MFC-L9550CDW

At the question about the Device URI, you answer N for a USB printer and Y for a network printer.

For a network printer, you select in the next question the last option:
(A): Auto. For that, you type the number of that option and you press Enter.

f. Reboot your computer.

g. Done! Your printer should work fine now, including the scanner part (when present).

Want more tips?

Do you want more tips and tweaks for Ubuntu and Linux Mint? There's a lot more of them on this website!

To the content of this website applies a Creative Commons license.

Presiding Cat

Great Find PC, but tell us, does your printer and scanner work ok?
I have not Installed the software yet CD... I worked all day and I am tired... I will do it when rested... And let you know how it works out later...

On the surface... That looks like a very good web site..

Presiding Cat

Just got around to Trying this out... CD... And when I enter The Comand... cd Downloads && gunzip -v ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter*... It responds with no such file was found... Yet the file is in Download...

Presiding Cat

How do I determine the Device URI?

Presiding Cat

I know I said that CD... But I was not asking me that question... I was asking you... However never mind cause It did not work when using the Linux Mint Printer button... To install the printer,,, Which was where I needed it...

Presiding Cat

Screenshot from 2015-10-29 21:50:52.png
This is where N and Y did not work... This is why I was asking you...

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Im not sure, but I would try lpt#1 as that would be the one for a usb printer directly wired through usb to windows. You cant wreck anything and if it doesnt work just delete it

Presiding Cat

Looks as though I need to reinstall Linux Mint on the computer that the printer is connected to... Cause I think I screwed it up trying to install it Via That Web site Info that I shared in post # 143 The screen shot App. quit working as it should... As I was replying to you in post # 149...
Sounds like you've progressed a few steps from the command to unzip the file?
I need to check that out with the info I was following...

Presiding Cat

Sounds like you've progressed a few steps from the command to unzip the file?
According to the info I was following that should not have happened,,,

Brother printers: how to install them in Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Then click the Driver Install Tool and download linux-brprinter-installer.

Save the downloaded file in the folder Downloads. Don't extract the zipped file, but leave it there just as it is. Note: don't use the installation how-to on the Brother website, but use the installation how-to on my website instead (see below)!

b. Launch a terminal window.
(You can launch a terminal window like this: *Click*)

c. Now copy/paste the following command into the terminal, in order to unzip the downloaded file:

cd Downloads && gunzip -v ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter*
Press Enter.

d. Use copy/paste to transfer the following line to the terminal:

sudo bash ~/Downloads/linux-brprinter*

Press Enter. Type your password when prompted; this will remain entirely invisible, not even asterisks will show, which is normal.

e. Follow the steps that the installer script presents you. When asked for the printer model name, type it and press Enter.

An example is best: for a Brother DCP-7065DN you type:
DCP-7065DN

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Can I suggest you start again.......Go to administration in the main menu, select printers in the right hand menu list. Make sure there are no printers listed in the printers dialogue box. I don't think there will from what you told me, but if there is highlight it, select printer in the file menu and delete it. There is no need to reinstall Mint.

Then go and try the instructions in post 143...

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
You could of course follow the instructions at the brother site?? something may have changed since that article in post 143 was written??

Presiding Cat

Can I suggest you start again.......Go to administration in the main menu, select printers in the right hand menu list. Then go and try the instructions in post 143...
I went to administration in the main menu, and selected printers... I had the printer turned on and My printer was listed in the printers dialogue box... However when I attempted to install the drivers... There were none listed for my model:(...

I have reinstalled mint on that computer and I am not comfortable with the instructions in post # 143:(... I think I will try the instructions at the brother site...o_O

Last edited:

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Think you should decide how you want to install the printer, cause you are now trying another method. Whenever Ive installed a printer through linux, which is the way you now describe you are trying, I have never had to look at, or choose drivers, simply followed the prompts.

Presiding Cat

Think you should decide how you want to install the printer, cause you are now trying another method. Whenever Ive installed a printer through linux, which is the way you now describe you are trying, I have never had to look at, or choose drivers, simply followed the prompts.
Well CD I did exactly that followed the prompts...:confused: Did what it told me to until I could not follow any more...

I have to decided to install the printer any way that works... Keep in mind that what I tried from post 143 messed up the computer...