• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Linux Mint 17.1

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
@Rustys - Recommendation:

Open a Terminal.
Enter: sudo apt-get update
Enter your password.
Enter: sudo apt-get upgrade
Enter: sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get autoremove

After each command line allow process to complete before entering the next line.
Letter perfect typing is required.

Recommend this process be performed at least once a month. More often can't hurt.

Rustys

@Rustys - Recommendation:

Open a Terminal.
Enter: sudo apt-get update
Enter your password.
Enter: sudo apt-get upgrade
Enter: sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get autoremove

After each command line allow process to complete before entering the next line.
Letter perfect typing is required.

Recommend this process be performed at least once a month. More often can't hurt.
What do the commands do?

Rustys

Install Pale Moon and surf the net, write a book in Open Office...:D
Where can I get Pale Moon from could not find in the software manage list, Did find the web site with out knowing which one to download and not wanting to do the wrong one, Can I use it along side of Firefox?

Oh darn started the book in LibreOffice hope that is ok?:facepalm:

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
What do the commands do?
They UPDATE and UPGRADE your system. Kind of like Windows Update does for Win7.
The last command line CLEANS and REMOVE old files to keep your system slim and trim.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Where can I get Pale Moon from could not find in the software manage list, Did find the web site with out knowing which one to download and not wanting to do the wrong one, Can I use it along side of Firefox?

Oh darn started the book in LibreOffice hope that is ok?:facepalm:
You can use it alongside Firefox in Winders so it should be ok in Mint.

Here's a link at Source Forge, be careful of the carp they are now including. The Wizard will tell you how to install it in Linux from the CMD box or what ever it's called ( I cannot remember the name at present).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux

Download link it will start the download as soon as you click and go to the page.

Libre or Open can read / write your book, same file format...

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Bear - Firefox should come with the Linux Mint system installation. Mine did. Thunderbird is also included.

Highlander

The Immortal
iHF Master Craftsman
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The word is Terminal.
As with all our members, if he asks for help, I give what I can.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Bit late I know, but if you pointed your default Mint FireFox browser to search for PaleMoon it would have gone straight to the linux version anyway. Once you get PaleMoon sorted to your liking you can remove firefox from your package.

Using Linux you will find that you will issue lots of sudo commands from within a terminal. I'm going to get into trouble here but the sudo command allows you to issues commands as a "superuser" sort of elevated user level. Terminal will show in your menu list of apps, or depending on the flavour installed may have a desktop icon.

Rustys

With Pale Moon (on my mouse I have a scroll wheel) if I press it in windows it give me the four way directional arrows. If I do this in Pale Moon it take me to the home page.

Any way to get it to stop at least taking me to the home page?