• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Look what I made. patio furniture...

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It's amazing what you can scrounge up in the way of pallets and shipping lumber.
I worked at a place where the aluminium stock that came in was shipped sitting on 4"x4"x4' pieces of hickory wood.
That was some hard stuff, and made an excellent strong work bench you could pound anything on and it wouldn't budge.
Yes LoneWolf, I have seen some nice wood in the form of shipping crates and pallets. I spent lots of money on wood working tools over the years and now old LC doesn't see well enough most days to use them safely. Tis a shame really. That was to be what I was going to use to keep busy in retirement. Just as well. The local high school needed replacements for their Ag shop. Now I have more free time to annoy Iron Maiden and her son. I think I am going to take up sitting on the front porch and yelling at the neighborhood kids too. :sneaky:

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I can sympathize I love doing woodwork too, but life has a nasty habit of throwing us curve balls.
Back when I had the garage, shop, and tools, I didn't have the time to use them, and now that I do, I don't have the shop, or the tools anymore. :(

Well I have a tiny shop area, barely enough to store tools for basic vehicle maintenance in the car port, and a little space for computer tinkering and running one of my crunchers. Definitely no space for woodworking.

I used to have a 24' long work bench I made myself with built in chop saw, retractable router, even a sawdust collecting system of sorts, mechanical work bench with vise and 1/4" steel plate top for beating on stubborn parts, a wazoo of various tools, built in air compressor, surround sound, 47" flat screen to keep an eye on the NASCAR races while tinkering, heated, air conditioned, and built in exhaust fan for when I was doing smelly stuff.

Getting depressed just thinking about it.

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Love me some wood working...i got in with a lumber yard that gives away there 2nds...so i have been using that...got a table saw and a table planner, and drill presses and other wood working tools so i can make any size i want and i believe in recycling wood for re-purposing ...especially treated lumber...most treated lumber and be redone that people throw away...if you run it through a planner..

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I used to have a 24' long work bench I made myself with built in chop saw, retractable router, even a sawdust collecting system of sorts, mechanical work bench with vise and 1/4" steel plate top for beating on stubborn parts, a wazoo of various tools, built in air compressor, surround sound, 47" flat screen to keep an eye on the NASCAR races while tinkering, heated, air conditioned, and built in exhaust fan for when I was doing smelly stuff.

Getting depressed just thinking about it.
I did not mean to cause you any discomfort LoneWolf. I have had many good things in my life that are no longer there. Like the bad things they pass into memory. What I have today is my focus. I still do what I enjoy as best I can and that Mate is what matters most. If we can not do then we inspire others with out experiences and memories.

Speaking of inspiration, Robin's project has made me want to give it a try. Want to help? I'll hammer while you hold the nail.:D

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Love me some wood working...i got in with a lumber yard that gives away there 2nds...so i have been using that...got a table saw and a table planner, and drill presses and other wood working tools so i can make any size i want and i believe in recycling wood for re-purposing ...especially treated lumber...most treated lumber and be redone that people throw away...if you run it through a planner..
You have to be careful with what you use the treated wood for Veeg. Some of that stuff can be toxic over long exposures and some can ruin your saw blades and planner knives. All in all though, for outside projects it is good to have. :)

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
You have to be careful with what you use the treated wood for Veeg. Some of that stuff can be toxic over long exposures and some can ruin your saw blades and planner knives. All in all though, for outside projects it is good to have. :)
Yep i know ole friend....i just during the re-purpose stage,plain off the died wood down to the good stuff..and work outside....;)

Presiding Cat

iHF Legend
Very creative Monkey... Good on you.:)