• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Conversation Looking to Upgrade to SSD

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The price of Solid State Drives is getting more reasonable so I am looking to upgrade the drives containing the OS on my Server and other PCs. I've read the reviews and looked at the stats for most of the major brands so now I am looking for comments or advice from someone who are using them. I'm looking for something reliable and a minimum of 1Tb. Suggestions? :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I used one when I first got the Win 7 box, it was only a 64 gig job who's name I cannot recall off hand.

I replaced it with a normal hard drive for some reason, the drive was fast though.
I can get the small 250Gb drives for about $50 USD but when you can get a 1Tb drive for around $120 USD then I think that the better deal. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I remember asking how long it to install Win 7 on that 64 gig ssd of mine, something like 15 minutes it took.

I do not know what sort of a brand of ssd drive is in the Chromebook, but that it is fast, not that slow loading like winders does. Press the power button to start up then a short delay and you get a login screen for your password.

Edit: Clarity

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I remember asking how long it to install Win 7 on that 64 gig ssd of mine, something like 15 minutes it took.

I do not know what sort of a brand of ssd / brand drive is in the Chromebook, but that is fast, not that slow loading like winders does. Press the power button to start up then a short delay and you get a login screen for your password.
It took about 40 minutes to clone my C: drive to the SSD and takes about 10 seconds to boot to the login screen from a complete shutdown. From login to ready to use takes about 5 seconds. All of my programs launch and are ready to use in seconds, even Adobe Photo Shop CS6. I'll buy other SSDs for my server and desktop. My machines run 24/7 so we will see how durable and reliable the drive is. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It has been a week now and I am pleased with the Samsung SSD. It is fast and to this point I have had no issues. Would I buy another? I would say no. While I have no issue with the SSD, I do have issue with Samsung. I tried to register the drive for the warranty but was denied. I did the online form and sent a copy of the purchase receipt as requested and they said it wasn't good enough. Truthfully, I didn't pay a lot for the drive. It was just $99.99 USD plus tax but If they are going to make it that hard to get the drive warranted then that tells me they have no interest in my business. I've sent over $1000 USD on Samsung products in the past year. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things to be sure but for me it is the principal of it.

At any rate, had I done some research, I would have bought a Western Digital SSD for about the same price with a 5 year Limited Warranty instead of a 3 year. Live and learn. Western Digital drives have served me well for many years so I will stay with that. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
There is a 36 month warranty period for that Samsung ssd here in Australia, it seems like bull kakka that they did not like the store receipt though.
I bought the drive at Office Depot. One of the big office supply stores. I think you have Office Works there in Oz. I'll not stress of it Arctos. I don't get mad but I do get even. I should just have my lawyer write a nice letter on my behalf to Samsung telling them that Creative Solutions will not be purchasing the quarter of a million dollars worth of Samsung products as planned. :)

I won't my friend. I'm retired and I don't think my business name is still registered but some years ago I could have. I know it would amuse my lawyer. :lol:

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I got my last computers (the HP and Acer) from Office Works, both registered ok for warranty.

I wonder if you have a government org like the ACCC which is our great consumer complaints line in the US.
Yes, We have our different Consumer agencies but for as little as I would lose if the drive went titsup it is not worth the time and effort. I feel better because I btched about it and got it off my chest and the lesson learned has value. :mrgreen: