• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Morel mushrooms

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
The hunting is about to begin in Iowa for these tasty, elusive little devils. I know they are found all over the USA and most frequently in the Central US. Are morels common in other parts of the world?

Morels.jpg

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
They are really rich. Eating too many will make you ill. They are typically egg-washed, cracker breaded, then fried in butter. Not sure what to compare the taste to; they are unique.

If you're in Ohio right now, ask around. They are being found there already. Morels only show for a few weeks at best. Often found in the woods near downed elms. If you are lucky enough to find them, you can turn a quick profit if you don't eat them yourself. Depending on the timing, morels can sell for $30-$60 a pound.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
It's My Birthday!
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
morel.jpg

Morel Quiche

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped cooked ham
  • 1 cup fresh morel mushrooms
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper
  • 1 prepared 9-inch single pie crust
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and ham in butter until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in morel mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle in black pepper and remove from heat.
  3. Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish and crimp the edges with a fork. Poke the bottom and sides of the pie crust several times with the fork.
  4. Bake crust in the preheated oven just until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
  5. Whisk eggs, cream, and flour in a bowl until well blended; stir in Colby-Monterey Jack cheese.
  6. Spread ham and mushroom mixture into the pie crust and pour egg mixture over the filling.
  7. Bake quiche in the preheated oven until crust is browned and the filling is set and lightly browned, about 45 minutes. Serve hot or cold.

Lord Chance

It's My Birthday!
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
morel2.jpg
Morel Mushroom Bisque

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 8 ounces fresh morel mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon chicken soup base
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground dried thyme
  • salt to taste
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
Directions

1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, and morels; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions have softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken soup base and flour; cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in water and cream; bring to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes.
  2. Puree half of the soup in small batches, filling the blender no more than halfway full each time. Return soup puree to pot. Cook on low 10 to 15 minutes. Season with thyme and salt and pepper before serving.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
<snipped> If you are lucky enough to find them, you can turn a quick profit if you don't eat them yourself. Depending on the timing, morels can sell for $30-$60 a pound.
We were bitching about paying $16.00 a kg for the flat mushrooms, and $11.00 a kg for button at one of the major supermarkets here in Bundy. $120 .00 for a feed of Morel mushies, I don't think so some how...

@ LC: Nice recipes mate, look really tasty...

Edit: Typo.

Last edited:

Lord Chance

It's My Birthday!
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
@ LC: Nice recipes mate, look really tasty...
I could not find my favorite recipe. It is Morel mushrooms cooked in a thick white sauce which can be used over pasta or rice. My friend in Illinois use to bring me a basket of Morels every year so I would cook for her. We would have my white sauce over pasta, Maine crab cakes and wine. Good times and good food. :)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
LOL, believe me, Looks aren't everything! :)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
The only thing I can think to compare them to is ocean scallops. Sweet, and rich. They are truly heaven.