• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Mounting internal second Hard Drive Via Gparted?

Presiding Cat

Part.png
When attempting to mount a second internal hard drive via Gparted. After selecting the drive. The mount button in the Partition tab is not available. It is greyed out. What am I missing? What have I done wrong? How do I mount the Drive? Operating system is Linux mint 18 3

Last edited:

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
When attempting to mount a second internal hard drive via Gparted. After selecting the drive. The mount button in the Partition tab is not available. It is greyed out. What am I missing? What have I done wrong? How do I mount the Drive? Operating system is Linux mint 18 3
Hello Presiding Cat. It is good to see you. Maybe these quotes from the GParted forum will help.

The mount functionality in GParted is limited. It's primary purpose is to permit a user to unmount a partition so that the maximum number of partition editing actions is available. If the partition also contains a mount entry in the /etc/fstab file, then GParted will also permit a user to mount the partition. If there is no mount entry in the /etc/fstab file for the partition, then the mount option will be greyed out in GParted.
See if this helps. Forgive me but I haven't used GParted in a long time.

If you wish you have a partition mounted automatically at boot, then you will need to edit (as root) the /etc/fstab file and add the appropriate entry.

Alternatively you can interactively mount the partition with a command like:

sudo mount /path-to-partition /path-to-mount-point

Where /path-to-partition is something like /dev/sda3
and /path-to-mount-point is a directory name (for example /mnt)

Presiding Cat

Hello Presiding Cat. It is good to see you. Maybe these quotes from the GParted forum will help.

See if this helps. Forgive me but I haven't used GParted in a long time.
Thanks Lord Chance, Hope you are enjoying the season. According to further research that I have done you must create the mount point before you mount the partition. I am currently trying to find out how to do that...

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Yes, this was written for RedHat but most core stuff is universal across the Distros. The RedHat articles were just the most concise instructions I could find at the moment.

I am curious, What is the purpose of using GParted? You could have formatted the drive Fat32, or other disk schemes and Mint should recognized the drive at boot. I have a DELL Optiplex with three 1 Tb drives installed. Drive C has Windows 7, Drive D has Ubuntu Studio 18.10 and drive F is just a storage drive formatted Fat32. Ubuntu mounts and will read/write to C & F drives without special permissions. Both C & D have stand alone OS installs without a bootloader. :)

Presiding Cat

Gparted was recommended to me. And I like using it. Used before without any hicups.

Here's the command that I used to mount the partition manually.
$ sudo mount -t auto \
> -o rw \
> /dev/[BLOCK_DEVICE][PARTITION_NUMBER] [MOUNT_POINT] \
> -v

If your partition is /dev/sdb1, you mount it at the mnt directory like this:

$ sudo mount -t auto \
> -o rw \
> /dev/sdb1 /mnt \
> -v

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Was just curious Presiding Cat. I haven't had to use GParted in a long time. The newer Distros handle mounting and partitioning drives better than when I got started. While I used to be more knowledgeable about Command Line usage, I am getting old and forgetful so the command line is not my favorite way to work without my CLI cheat sheets. :)

apemax

Linux user