• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Conversation Nokia Lumia 520 phone

elleran

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
My Nokia Lumia 520 Windows 8 phone shuts down my computer screen when i plug it in. At my work the computers don't shut down. I just plug it in to charge it.

At the moment the only way I can get the photos I've taken with the phone onto the computer is by emailing them to myself.

This morning I downloaded the Windows phone app for desktop, thinking that my help. The app stated to walk me through, but the screen shut down again, then after a minute or so, the computer shut down.
I opened the sides to see if i could see anythingloose, but I've no idea what I'd be looking for anyway. Any suggestions?

Twitch6000

Person Of All Kinds
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Could e get the make and model of said computer?

Is this computer running windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8?

Has this problem always happened?

Is there any changes you recently made to said computer?

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hello Elleran. Your problem could be software but in my opinion it is more likely the power supply of your PC. When you plug in your phone the added strain of charging it on the USB port pulls the 5volt buss of the power supply lower that it should. This in turn causes the PC power supply to shut down. To make sure, let our great Techs help you.:)

elleran

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
Hello

Can you give more of your pc spec's? Also how many usb devices do you have plugged in at one time?
My specs:
Motherboard: ga-h87m-d3h
cpu: intel i5 4570
power supply: corsair vs650
hard drive: seagate 2tb x 2
dvd burner: asus drw24b5st x 2
video: ati hd 7770
ram: corsair 4gb
windows 7 32 bit home premium
(I'm not too technically minded. My best friend told me the above specs. hehehe)

I have my Mobile Internet dongle plugged into the back of the computer via an extension cable. I'm in a rural area and that's the only way I can get internet... don't start me....
A printer is plugged in the back, but not always on, ditto with small speakers - and when I remember I plug in my external hard drive.
I plugged the phone into a usb port at the front of the tower.

elleran

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
Could e get the make and model of said computer?

Is this computer running windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8?

Has this problem always happened?

Is there any changes you recently made to said computer?
Windows 7. 6mths old computer. new phone.

elleran

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
OK..one would think that such a new pc could handle this.. Could be a bad voltage controller in the front usb board for the front ports and you certainly have enough psu wattage.. Have you tried the back usb ports?
Hello veeg...
I've just plugged my phone into a back port. Yay! no problems. I've been able to copy my pics across to my pc and copy music from my pc to the phone. I've given up trying to download the app as my internet is so slow and drops out all of the time, but it seems i don't need the app to do what i want to do. Thanks veeg. It seems i may have a problem with the front ports when I plug in my phone, tho there's never a problem with usb memory sticks.

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Good to hear...if you have a problem of running out of ports in the back in the future you can try an external powered usb hub,these things are cheap around 7 or 8 bucks.. Have you thought about satellite internet?

A hub like this one even tho it's a little more.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182056

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I am glad that the problem is not a bad as I feared Elleran. To explain the reason your PC reacts differently to the phone and the memory stick is because the phone uses the USB port to transfer data and charge your phone where the memory stick only uses power to transfer data. The phone draws more heavily on the power allocated to the USB port than the memory stick.:)

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I think the problem here may actually be wireless reception due to the locationmore than a pc problem?

Just a thought.