• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solved Not compatible.???

Presiding Cat

Does anyone know why... Samsung TVs are not compatible with computers running UNIX or LINUX.???

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
What model are you referring to Presiding Cat? As I understand it, the Samsung Smart models are running a version of Linux. If you are just using Linux to drive the video on a Samsung then it may just come down to the setting on the TV. Some of the lower priced models do not auto detect the connection type such as HDMI, S-Video, VGA, DVI. :)

Presiding Cat

What model are you referring to Presiding Cat? As I understand it, the Samsung Smart models are running a version of Linux. If you are just using Linux to drive the video on a Samsung then it may just come down to the setting on the TV. Some of the lower priced models do not auto detect the connection type such as HDMI, S-Video, VGA, DVI. :)
I can not locate the page that I quoted "Samsung TVs are not compatible with computers running UNIX or LINUX." LC...
However I found it strange that My Hugh Samsung Flat screen... TV Manufactured in 2004... Came with a DVI connector installed... That just does not make sense to me.???:(

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I found where your quote came from I think. The Samsung Support FAQ states it very clearly. Since Samsung does not create drivers for their TV's this is technically true.
Note: Samsung does not make or supply installable drivers for its TVs. The TVs use the default drivers provided in Windows.
Windows writes its own drivers for PC to TV interfacing. Linux has come a long way since that FAQ was written. If a PC can send the proper video signal then it is compatible. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I can not locate the page that I quoted "Samsung TVs are not compatible with computers running UNIX or LINUX." LC...
However I found it strange that My Hugh Samsung Flat screen... TV Manufactured in 2004... Came with a DVI connector installed... That just does not make sense to me.???:(
I run a extended Windows desktop to a 32" Samsung LCD television that is around 10 years old.

I have it hooked up with a dvi / hdmi cable, to the Samsung's recommended hdmi slot for a PC interface (it should show you in the manual).

Leadtek PX9600 GT Heatpipe 512 gpu.

Samsung 32" television back panel, hdmi port 1 is for the connnection for PC's

Presiding Cat

Thanks Guys... Does it matter what kind of a computer one can hook up to the TV.? I could install a DVI extension card in a Pentium 4... If that will work.? I also have a 500 watt power supply that I would put in it... That would cover any extra power that it might require...

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Thanks Guys... Does it matter what kind of a computer one can hook up to the TV.? I could install a DVI extension card in a Pentium 4... If that will work.? I also have a 500 watt power supply that I would put in it... That would cover any extra power that it might require...
The interfacing computer should not matter Presiding Cat. Pay attention to the DVI port on the TV and video card. There are three DVI formats, DVI-A (DVI Analog), DVI-D (DVI Digital) and DVI-I (DVI Digital & Analog), The DVI-D and DVI-I cables come in two different flavors called Single Link & Dual Link. See graphic below....

dvi-jack-configuration.jpg

Pick your video card and cable accordingly. If the PSU in the computer you use is sufficient to run the video card then an upgrade is not necessary. The TV will handle it's own power requirements. If you do not wish to buy or install another video card there are other video interfaces that might work such as HDMI to DVI, USB to DVI, I think you can even get VGA to DVI. There are lots of options. :)

Last edited:

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The interfacing computer should not matter Presiding Cat. Pay attention to the DVI port on the TV and video card. There are three DVI formats, DVI-A (DVI Analog), DVI-D (DVI Digital) and DVI-I (DVI Digital & Analog), The DVI-D and DVI-I cables come in two different flavors called Single Link & Dual Link. See graphic below....

Pick your video card and cable accordingly. If the PSU in the computer you use is sufficient to run the video card then an upgrade is not necessary. The TV will handle it's own power requirements. If you do not wish to buy or install another video card there are other video interfaces that might work such as HDMI to DVI, USB to DVI, I think you can even get VGA to DVI. There are lots of options. :)

<snipped>
Just get a dvi cable if you gpu has one, they have had them for a long time now as well, the Leadtek I mentioned before I have had close to 10 years still works good.

I just grabbed a cable off the shelf that looked the same as the cards ports...

Presiding Cat

View attachment 4831

I am assuming that the format for DVI port on the video card... Needs to be the same as the format for the DVI port that is on the TV.??? Is that correct.?

Last edited:

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
I am assuming that the format for DVI port on the video card... Needs to be the same as the format for the DVI port that is on the TV.??? Is that correct.?
Not entirely true....As long as it contains the analog pins you''ll get video but no sound.

Ideally though you'd match the input of your monitor to the output of your graphics card either through the use of a straight cable or an adapter to get to the pins of the monitor (e.g. DVI-D to DVI-I)

Lord Chance's post shows a good overview of the various DVI interfaces over the years that have become common before the inception of HDMI as the standard for HD content consumption

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If the DVI on the TV is DVI-A then you will indeed need a video card and cable that supports it but the other two formats can be interchanged to a degree. It has been some time since I have worked with DVI video so I do not remember how it works. Just using a video card and cable matching your TV is indeed the easiest way. :)

Presiding Cat

Thanks Guys... I have purchased an ASUS Radeon R5 230 Graphics card...
http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/R5230SL2GD3L/ That has a DVD-D interface the same as the TV... How would I go about obtaining the Linux drivers for it.? Or would Linux Mint 3 have the drivers for it.?

I also have the option of installing it in a XP computer...

Last edited:

Presiding Cat

Last edited:

Presiding Cat

Well everything works when hooked up to a monitor... When I go to The Discovery channel's Web site and attempt to watch a show it tells me that I need to install Adobe flash player in order to watch it... Will Adobe Flash player work on Linux.? or is there another solution.?

Last edited:

Presiding Cat

Last edited: