• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solved Portable Hardrives WD v Seagate

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Next week when my Brit pension gets banked, I am up grading the office television to a Hisence 81cm smart tv.

I want to get a 1Tb portable usb drive to plug into the tv from the same store, to get a bit of a discount on the lot with some other stuff. As they do not sell Toshiba Canvio drives (which I prefer) I am left with either a Seagate or a WD for the same price.

I only need a 1 Tb size as it will only have about 750 gigs of recorded tv shows that I want to keep and watch again some time.

So do you have any thoughts on either of them, good bad or plurry indifferent. :D

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It is dealers choice on that one Mate. If you ask some the Seagate would be great but if you ask me then I would tell you go with the Western Digital. I have two of the 1Tb USB 3.0 drives and never have a problem. In all honesty, I sold WD drives almost exclusively in my shop. Out of the hundreds I sold over the years I had only a hand full come back. It made me a believer in the product. As for the Toshiba Convio, if you have an Officeworks near you, it is still available.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
It is dealers choice on that one Mate.
I have had both brands in external and they have both brands go west, but it was mainly the controller board for the enclosures.

As for the Toshiba Convio, if you have an Officeworks near you, it is still available.
Only trouble with Officeworks they do not sell televisions, I am trying to get a deal going with buying a fair bit of electrical stuff from HN.

Oh and it appears the Officeworks is $10 cheaper that Harvey Norman on the WD drive. :D
I know, it's a right pain in the arsë that.