• Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Power less

Antman

Because, you know, Obama.
Advisor
I replaced a desktop 95W Q8300 CPU (400W PSU) with a 35W i5 laptop. The laptop has a 65W power brick.

What is my drop in power consumption? Does the power brick always draw 65W?

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
Typically a laptop will consume less power than its adapter will allow for. So in your case it will normally consume less than 65W. In normal operation it should not consume more power than the adapter sold with it can supply.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Crush is correct Antman. The 65 watts or 3.4 amps that the power brick is the top of it's draw curve. The rated numbers are not static. Your laptop's max draw is 35 watts or 1.8 amps assuming the dc voltage is 19volt. Your laptop will consume around 60 to 70 percent under a heavy workload so your power brick will only feed the power required.

Antman

Advisor
I am all about low power systems now. Without spending any money, I am going to replace all (but one) of my systems with 15W or less CPUs. I will have no CPU cooling fans. Joli will need the laptop next year for Bring Your Own Technology. Third graders need PCs in 2016.

I have a Kangaroo PC running WindX on a 4W Atom x5-Z8500. Makes a great smart TV. 2GB sux.

So, I am thinking about spending $160 on the Kangaroo+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9001&cm_re=kangaroo_pc-_-56-659-001-_-Product

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
[QUOTE="Antman, post: 75342, member: 12"<snipped>

I have a Kangaroo PC running WindX on a 4W Atom x5-Z8500. Makes a great smart TV. 2GB sux.

So, I am thinking about spending $160 on the Kangaroo+[/QUOTE]

Long time no see Ant'. :D

There's a Kangaroo up the road you can have for free, it uses no watts at all, lots of hops in it though so self charging.

Is Joli's hair really blue or is that a wig hair piece? :caution:

Antman

Advisor
I know of a bear in Oz that is often full of hops.

One of two Halloween outfits last year.

By the way, and for no known reason, I have always called Joli 'Bear'.

Antman

Advisor
At least I made the Dirty Dozen. As long as I'm not Jim Brown.

Antman

Advisor
Let me know if I make it out this time.