• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Recommendations for good MPG vehicle

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Down under Passats have a pretty good reputation, and serviced to schedule should give you many years of enjoyment. Good luck with it.

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Sweetie, the last time I wore a bikini, I think I was younger than 12. Scary thought! :)

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Like any vehicle there are plenty of TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) for the Passat but I can find no general Recall for transmission problems. It is possible a search by VIN at http://www.safercar.gov/ may uncover more information. There are several Power Train TSBs but these issues, if they occur, are only covered by manufacturer's warranty. :)

Edit: My search only covered the 2012 Passat TDI.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
There were issues with the manual transmissions a while back, dont know if manual trans was sold in US

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
There were issues with the manual transmissions a while back, dont know if manual trans was sold in US
Like most cars in the U.S. manual transmissions are an option. A very expensive option in my opinion. :caution:

@DCiAdmin - A word of caution if your Passat has the Urea tank (DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid). Never let the DEF tank run dry. Doing so will cause reduced engine output until refilled and running it dry repeatedly can cause the DEF to crystalize in the system leading to expensive repairs.:)

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I'm loving my Passat but have had a complication. I've got a check engine light on and the code seems to be P2478 - exhaust gas temp out of range bank1 sensor 1. I have filled up twice and both times put in ultra low sulpher diesel but it was 5-20% bio. Ready ng the manual today, it seems that anything above 5% is prohibited. Argh!

Last edited:

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
I'm loving my Passat but have had a complication. I've got a check engine light on and the code seems to be P2478 - exhaust gas temp out of range bank1 sensor 1. I have filled up twice and both times put in ultra low sulpher diesel but it was 5-20% bio. Ready ng the manual today, it seems that anything above 5% is prohibited. Argh!
I always thought this was a bit off on there recommendations,since most places sell only that type of diesel fuel..

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Yea. This part of owning a Passat might be difficult. :p

TechJohn

iHF Veteran
WCG Team Member
Not sure if you already settles in on something already, but I have a Suzuki SX4 2010 MPG is good around at least 30 in the city. I think a full tank 250 miles will last like 7-8 days my drive to work is a hour alone back in forth plus if I go to the beach and drive around town. I never had any problems with it got it fairly cheap 4,500 used. Also its listed on kelly blue for 9,000 if i sell it right now lol. So I can feel good if i put money on it.

Just saw you purchased Passat oops lol

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I purchased a VW Passat TDI with 100,000 miles on it and love the driving experience. The maintenance will be a bit of a challenge as I have found that many shops aren't equipped to diagnose or work on VW diesels. So, tomorrow begins my education.

I currently have three engine lights on - the Check Engine Light (CEL) stays on solid, the Glow Plug light flashes, and now I have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) light on. The CEL is on because the MAF sensor isn't getting good readings, the flashing glow plug code indicates a bad EGR sensor #4, and the DPF means that the car hasn't performed a regeneration to burn the soot out of the DPF since the EGR sensor is bad. I will be changing out the Sensor #4 tomorrow and hopefully forcing a regen to clear the DPF light.

My brother-in-law from marriage 1 is a trained mechanic and still works on his own cars. He will show me the ropes tomorrow and we'll see where that goes. Hopefully, I can catch on quickly as I can save a bit of $$ by performing my own repairs.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Thank you! When it runs well, it's a wonderful car! When I'm in fear of damaging the emissions system, well, it stays parked. Looks good in the driveway, though ;)

Is the car running badly? If so try unplugging the maf sensor and see if there is a change. Your computer has a default safe mode that won't run great. If there is no change your maf is most likely bad. You can check voltage coming from the maf to confirm this. I'd recommend cleaning it with some crc maf cleaner before buying a new one. Make sure it says you can use it on theback of the can. This can be purchased from auauto zone for about $10. Remove maf from car...spray...let dry...reinstall. pretty simple.

As for egr valve - try removing it and cleaning it with some carb or brake cleaner first before buying a new one. Same goes with the dpf. I think they may actually make some dpf cleaner that you don't have to remove? Not 100% sure on that.

Edit: I see you said egr sensor. ..not valve. Unsure about that as well... I know gas burners better. But the maf principles should be the same deal.