• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Router or switch

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Im a little confused after probably too much research on the net about my network connections.
I have 3 pcs hooked directly to my gigabit router, and the remaining port feeds to a 16 port giga switch, that feeds several printers, 3 media players, 2 pvr's, 2 nas boxes, and 2 not so smart tv's, plus a secondary router used only when wireless is required.

I have read it is better to put all connections into the switch, instead of some in the router, except the uplink to the switch of course.

Is there any benefit of this or not, heres a speed test on 1 pc

2014-05-21_094610.jpg

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
If you put them into the router it gives you a quicker internet as there is less hops if its primary used to transfer data locally its better going into the switch. Your upload speed is low compared to download speed I get 60 meg down and 20 meg up
Thanks for the prompt response, it explains why ive read conflicting reasons of connections. As for the upload speed, in Aus the major isps only advertise 1.5 upload for residential accounts, dont know about the new broadband being rolled out though, got to live long enough for that?