• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Conversation Saga of fight with home wireless

DCiAdmin

Always room to learn a bit more
Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
We've been struggling with the home wireless for a bit, and sadly I've been too lazy to troubleshoot. Well, I finally checked the home devices. Wireless connected to Cable modem, 10Mbps. Wireless connected to FWF-60D, 10Mbps. Wireless connected to Unifi, 10Mbps. Or less on all. Wired to Cable modem gave me 70Mbps or better, same with FWF-60D. Okay, Internet isn't that bad, so what's up with the Wireless? Below are the masses of devices connected either hardwired or wirelessly in my home. And yes, one corner of my home is saturated with wireless devices, but being a home built in 1860, my options aren't great.

Home.JPG

Discussion with Chris and (pow!) my wireless signals were stepping on each other. See below:

image.png

A few of hours of working at things and this is where I have arrived - 27.5Mbps down:

AfterUpdate.JPG

I'm pretty happy with things, but always open to suggestion.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Chris was right M'Lady. While wireless is great the thing to remember is that each device has to wait in line to send packets. If you have a lot of wireless devices they will trip over each other. Also you have a lot of RF floating around which degrades the signal which makes error checking work harder. :)

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Veeg is correct. The 5 Ghz wireless has more bandwidth.

The primary differences between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance, whereas2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds. ... Thus, the 2.4 GHz has a farther range than the 5 GHz frequency.

Crush

I am admin, ruler of my domain
Administrator
iHF Master Craftsman
So it's looking like 1, 6 and 11 are the most crowded. Put the two networks I suggested on any other channels

One 2.4ghz SSID broadcasting
One 5ghz SSID broadcasting

The rest turned off but still available to connect to and you'll see even more of an improvement

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I've moved the devices I could over to 5g already. I think I need to find another unifi, 5g for that one, and get it connected. But distant to the others if I can devise a way.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I've only got the 11, Chris. Need to drag out the laptop to move it. IF Mediacom permits that change.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I took the fortinet to 5g. The unifi is limited to 1 radio, 2.4g. so all but one ssid disabled on the unifi.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Someday I will have funds to hardwire all capable devices, and have distributed APs throughout the house.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I've got the cat6 and jacks sitting in the garage. All ready except the knowledge of running cabling in an old house.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Lathe & plaster. Reinsulated with expanding foam just over 5 years ago. No clue how to do what I want. The cable installer offered to run cabling for me, but wanted to run all along the outside of the house. That would mean punching a hole in the outer wall behind my switch. Umm, nope.

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Lathe & plaster. Reinsulated with expanding foam just over 5 years ago. No clue how to do what I want. The cable installer offered to run cabling for me, but wanted to run all along the outside of the house. That would mean punching a hole in the outer wall behind my switch. Umm, nope.
Then base board runs are about the only option. I'm assuming your base board is a standard configuration. There should be a gap between the wall and flooring. Any holes drilled would be hidden behind the base board. If the house has a crawl space then you could use that. A basement run might be a consideration if you have one. Anything to keep from drilling holes from the outside.

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
Basement / crawlspace will work great for 1st floor. Suggestions to get to second?

DCiAdmin

Administrator
iHF Legend
WCG Team Member
I do have a fireplace. I'm curious. How could I utilize that? Doesn't that put me back outside?

Lord Chance

iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I do have a fireplace. I'm curious. How could I utilize that? Doesn't that put me back outside?
If the fireplace is in the center of the house like in a colonial there will be a gap running up to the attic. You can make runs up the outside of the brick work. I am only guessing what type of house you have. If you have a two story bungalow then your fire place will be on the gable end which makes using it problematic. Still there should be areas for plumbing runs that can be used.