• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Conversation Scratched rim

elleran

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
A work colleague drove into a tyre workshop to get a quote for new tyres. She accidentally ran over a rim that was lying on the workshop floor. The guy in the shop said she had to pay $80 for the repaint of the rim. They photocopied her driver's licence and her credit card and told her that if she didn't pay they'd get the police onto her. She didn't pay as she had no money on her and didn't think she was liable. Needless to say she didn't buy any tyres from the guy who intimidated her.
What are her rights? Is she responsible for the damage? Did they have the right to demand payment and photocopy her cards?

monkeymagic

Guinness is good for you !!!!
iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
Hi Elleran, I will ask one of the volunteers from your good country to answer this. I'm from Ireland and don't think she would be responsible for damage as they left the bit out for some one to hit. Not her fault at all. In future never let any one photo copy a credit card or licence. Call police first.
Welcome to the best site around.
MM

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hello Elleran,

Due to the difference in laws country and world wide it would be difficult to give you a definitive answer so let me just let me give you thoughts. Without knowing what really happened There are many questions one could ask.
  1. Was your friend asked to enter the shop with her car?
  2. If so by who?
  3. Was the rim in the path indicated by whoever asked your friend to enter the shop with her car?
  4. Why was the rim on the shop floor?
Lets look at the cost of repainting the rim. $80? It is possible but not reasonable in my opinion. As far as being threatened with the Police, She should have dialed the Police herself. Should she have let them photocopy her license and credit card? No.

Elleran, I am retired businessman. For me to find myself in a situation such as this would be unforgivable and unethical. Please forgive me for not having more than this for you but there are too many unanswered questions and too little knowledge of the laws involved. :)

veeg

Live Long And Eat Bacon
WCG Team Member
Sure they can demand a payment,doesn't mean tho she has to pay...Beware tho since they got a photo copy of her credit card they may put a charge on that card or try to... These places are suppose to have insurance to cover that kind of issue and it makes me wonder why the rim was in the way to start with and was she instructed to drive to that particular spot? I would not pay ..

elleran

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
Hello Elleran,

Due to the difference in laws country and world wide it would be difficult to give you a definitive answer so let me just let me give you thoughts. Without knowing what really happened There are many questions one could ask.
  1. Was your friend asked to enter the shop with her car?
  2. If so by who?
  3. Was the rim in the path indicated by whoever asked your friend to enter the shop with her car?
  4. Why was the rim on the shop floor?
Lets look at the cost of repainting the rim. $80? It is possible but not reasonable in my opinion. As far as being threatened with the Police, She should have dialed the Police herself. Should she have let them photocopy her license and credit card? No.

Elleran, I am retired businessman. For me to find myself in a situation such as this would be unforgivable and unethical. Please forgive me for not having more than this for you but there are too many unanswered questions and too little knowledge of the laws involved. :)
i,ll see if I. can get more info.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Hi, I can relate to this one, having had an automotive business for too many years. I would confidently say your friend has no responsibility here, but the important thing for her is now the consequences, and hassles involved if this mob attempt to access the credit card, or decide to "persuade" her to pay.

Should she hear from them at the address they copied from the license, then I would advise her to contact the police, and of course any attempt to defraud money from her credit card should be immediately challenged, in writing, to the card issuer. Being a credit card this should not be an issue preventing, or perhaps, repaying any money taken from her account.

Apart from being silly and handing over the information they copied, she should not have any responsibility.

Hope this helps

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I'm with cameldung on that.

I don't know too many shops that allow people to drive into a bay without being directed by staff, and if they've left carp lying around that's their negligence not the customer's.

Allowing them to photocopy a credit card and drivers licence was a very poor decision, and I would be monitoring my charges, if not cancelling the card altogether and getting a new one.

As someone else mentioned any shop worth its salt would have insurance against such eventualities, not to mention that most probably wouldn't even make a claim for a measly eighty dollars.

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Yeh LW, she should not have given the details she did, rather left and taken her business to someone who treated their customers property (wheel) like it was of some value to someone, and not left it where an unsuspecting customer could damage it, and or, the customers property (car).

Its no good cancelling the card now, because she will still be liable for any charges before the card is cancelled. What they don't have is here pin or signature to access her money. They can try but as soon as its disputed she should not have any problems getting the charges reversed.

Possibly she could go to the local police station and tell them what happened so far, and document her discussion just to cover her backside. There is no easy way sometimes.

elleran

iHF Regular
WCG Team Member
I spoke with my colleague today. She said she drove into the workshop where she has done so before as everyone does to get tyres. The floor was black/dark and the rim was black. On this forum's recommendations i told her not to pay, which she had intended to do today and for her to go to the police and tell them what happened. Big sigh of relief from her. $80 isn't measly if you haven't got it, plus the principle of it. Thank you team.

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
$80 isn't measly if you haven't got it, plus the principle of it. Thank you team.
I wasn't referring to your friend when I said it was measly, I meant to the average such shop/business it is, unless they're about to fold.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
I meant to the average such shop/business it is, unless they're about to fold.
If they treat customers as badly as this LoneWolf they might as well fold because soon there will be no customers. Yes fine Sir, you have the right of it. :)