• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

Solar Panels

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The bowls club finally got the money to put up seventy solar panels a couple of weeks ago, this enough to power the club and put electricity back into the grid.

They will eventually get storage batteries and inverters so they do not have be dependant on expensive grid power at night to run the fridges.

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The club boss showed me the power generated and fed into the grid since they were installed yesterday, on the app the power company have.

It's a pretty impressive output so far which will save the club a sh!t load of money a year, great fun watching power meters going backwards with a beer in hand.

Lord Chance

iHelpForum Jester & Door Greeter
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
The club boss showed me the power generated and fed into the grid since they were installed yesterday, on the app the power company have.

It's a pretty impressive output so far which will save the club a sh!t load of money a year, great fun watching power meters going backwards with a beer in hand.
Since the price of solar panels have come down I had contacted a company to fit them to my home but I found out that there is no return on my investment. Our local power utilities do not buy the extra power you produce like they use to. The $15,000 USD the system would have cost me would taken twice as long to recover. The off grid package would have cost me another $12,000 USD but local code require me to be hooked into the power grid. At this point it is not worth it. :)

Arctos

Beware of the Bear...
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
There are several solar farms being set up in our area, with over 750 thousand panels each to generate power for the grid. At Gympie a coupla hours away there is a one farm with over a million panels being built as well.

There was something on the news the other day that our power bills are set to drop in the next 18 months from the solar and wind generation, I welcome that happening.