• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to iHelpForum - the place to get help from knowledgeable techs in all areas of Tech, Home and Auto help. Consider checking out our Guides or Registering an account to post on our forums today.

SpaceSniffer

SpaceSniffer 2014-08-19

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Cameldung submitted a new resource:

SpaceSniffer - Find what files and folders are hogging your hard drive.

Have you ever wondered why your hard drive space is disappearing, or possibly your backups have grown to enormous size?

Give this Freeware application a go, you'll be surprised just how quickly it is to graphically discover the size of your folders and files.

Download the application from the link at the top, or here if you like.
http://www.fosshub.com/SpaceSniffer.html

SpaceSniffer works on Windows from 2000 through to Version 8.

It is portable meaning no installation is...
Read more about this resource...

Cameldung

I Like It Here
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Very true DI, here's a couple of others too that are similar to Treesize, I guess I'm just a fanboy of SpaceSniffer, and stuck in a rut?

Folder Size
Filepro
WinDirStat

Here's one site where I look for stuff, being also a fan of portable apps.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=83

The first screen when scanning with SpaceSniffer gives a great graphical view of folder sizes, which novices "should" have no trouble with. The other screens drilling down into the folders is a bit of extra fruit for the sideboard, always good to have alternatives though.Thanks for the input:mrgreen:

Last edited:

LoneWolf_53

Cap'n Crunch
iHF Master Craftsman
iHF Veteran
Advisor
WCG Team Member
Very useful tool Cameldung. Thanks.

I just quickly identified 5GB of space that was being wasted on my SSD drive and reclaimed it easily.

For anyone interested, I found that the hibernate function which I never use, takes up a huge amount of space, and it can be easily reclaimed by simply turning off hibernate and rebooting.

On Win7 all you have to do is open a command prompt and type in "powercfg -h off" then reboot. For what it's worth I learned that the file hibernation uses (hiberfil.sys) is automatically created to be 75% of your installed RAM size, which can amount to a significant amount.